You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-24 05:04:38

eks

extremely slow live CD

First of all, my apologies if this is the wrong board or forum for this type of question. Please let me know if there might be a better place for it.

I'm trying to install archlinux on an old Sony VPCZ1290X series laptop. Whenever I boot into the live CD, everything runs smoothly for about 3 or 4 minutes, and then my machine begins running extremely slowly and eventually becomes unresponsive.

It seemed like it might be an issue with overheating, as the fan speed become quite high, and the vent became hot to the touch (despite my not doing anything computationally intensive. I noticed this behavior even if I was just reading through install.txt, or not doing anything at all). I took apart my laptop, and cleaned out all the air intake vents, but this did not seem to change anything. Additionally, I'm able to boot off of a gparted live CD, and everything runs perfectly smoothly, with no overheating or slow performance issues whatsoever. I'm not sure what the archlinux live CD might be doing differently from gparted. Any ideas what might be going on here?

[edit]
I tried using top to see what was going on. After 3 minutes, the CPU usage of process 'kworker/u16:0' jumped to 100%. A couple seconds later, top report the CPU usage of all processes to be 100%.

graphics card info:

NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 330M]
and
Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Last edited by eks (2014-11-24 08:37:43)

#2 2014-11-24 05:29:19

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: extremely slow live CD

We will need more information about the laptop: graphics card, what (if anything) is using RAM, logs or journals...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-11-24 06:16:44

karol
Archivist

Re: extremely slow live CD

Can you switch to another terminal with Alt-Ctrl-F2, check dmesg, pop up htop or some similar tool too see what's going on?

Board footer