You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-23 17:28:10

fokolo

is it possible to get arch to use Hybrid Drive?

is it possible to get arch to use Hybrid Drive?

Hybrid Hard Drive:
5K1VD: 1TB,2.5in,5.4K RPM,SATA SSHD DISK DRIVE; Dell 1000Gb SSHD 2.5", Seagate ST1000LM014

its from a dell laptop (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ … 2/diagnose)

I hope i gave enough information

thanks alot

Last edited by fokolo (2014-11-25 21:06:49)

#2 2014-11-23 18:30:43

ANOKNUSA

Re: is it possible to get arch to use Hybrid Drive?

Welcome to Arch, fokolo. I'll start off by pointing you to our forum etiquette. Arch is a DIY distribution and community; we really expect people to do their own research before asking for help on the boards. Threads that come off as requests for product recommendations also typically get closed, since such discussions never really go anywhere and the information becomes outdated very quickly.

Now that that's out of the way: It's my understanding that caching on those hybrid disks is handled by firmware, and should work regardless of the operating system. So, anticipating your follow-ups:

- If this is a veiled request for a product recommendation then I'd say it may be better to just get an SSD. Hybrid disks are useful in setups with very frequent and high I/O or for programs that need to acces large numbers of small files at once (like large games that are played often), but otherwise won't offer much. At least with a meager SSD and large hard disk you can choose where to store which data.

- If you already have a hybrid disk, I think it should work fine. You could always just install a distro and find out. Arch certainly won't break it. wink

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2014-11-23 18:31:16)

#3 2014-11-23 19:12:39

fokolo

Thanks first of all!

first i just wanna say i wasn't asking for recommendation on the drive i already have this laptop i was just wondering whether arch supports hybrid drive "out-of-the-box" or not. and now i understand that its in the firmware and not OS related thanks.

thanks for answering and I'm sorry for not following the etiquette i will make sure to follow it from now on!

#4 2014-11-23 19:57:18

TheSaint

See this whether you find a similar or same model of yours.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#5 2014-11-24 13:00:05

fokolo

TheSaint wrote:

See this whether you find a similar or same model of yours.

Thanks!
i found my precise model although he does not mention the hybrid drive i think its safe to assume that it works

#6 2014-11-24 13:18:30

TheSaint

They spent some time to describe what the installation brought up and working. Mostly it's assumed that the HDD didn't give any trouble.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#7 2014-11-25 20:38:34

fokolo

I have another follow up question

what if I want windows 8 and Arch Linux to dual boot and also use the Hybrid Drive without risk?

i read about UEFI and BIOS
and also about dual booting and it just seems to me that it will not use the Hybrid drive but i am really lost

Thanks

p.s.
what is the recommended sequence of installation arch first or windows first?

#8 2014-11-25 20:47:05

clfarron4
Website

fokolo wrote:

p.s. what is the recommended sequence of installation arch first or windows first?

Always Windows first.

As for the UEFI and the hybrid, I dunno. Treating the SSD and the HDD parts separate drives should work, right?

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#9 2014-11-25 20:55:07

fokolo

clfarron4 wrote:
fokolo wrote:

p.s. what is the recommended sequence of installation arch first or windows first?

Always Windows first.

As for the UEFI and the hybrid, I dunno. Treating the SSD and the HDD parts separate drives should work, right?

first of all thanks about the always windows first.

and secondly i dont think it will work because the SSD is not really accessible cause its being controlled by the firmware or i might be wrong

Board footer