You are not logged in.

#26 2014-11-23 10:06:43

poseidon

Re: Machine freezes sleeping

root wrote:

Take advantage of the wiki if you are looking for downgrades.

Remember to grab the kernel, the linux-headers and the linux-docs file of the version you are interested in downgrading to.

Did it. Was easy. Alas, hasn't changed anything for the better. What I did: After changing the mirrorlist as written in the ARM description I issued pacman -Syy linux. Previous kernel has been installed successfully (reboot and check by uname -s). Notebook still hangs after wake up. What did those of you, who were successful?

#27 2014-11-23 13:08:29

JDCNS

@fennetech: Why are you assuming it's the last thing I'd done? As I said, I was trying out different things, so the _first_ step was to ensure everything was up to date. Even though it did not make sense how changing DEs could affect sleep modes, they were the last thing that changed, not the kernel, and that was what I was pouring over first. Unfortunately, I'd not discovered it in time to fix it before hitting the road w/ the laptop.

#28 2014-11-23 20:04:47

firewalker

I tested linux 3.18 rc5 and the problems seems to be addressed.

Γίνε ρεαλιστής, μείνε ονειροπόλος ...

#29 2014-11-24 20:40:56

root

poseidon wrote:
root wrote:

Remember to grab the kernel, the linux-headers and the linux-docs file of the version you are interested in downgrading to.

Did it. Was easy. Alas, hasn't changed anything for the better. What I did: After changing the mirrorlist as written in the ARM description I issued pacman -Syy linux. Previous kernel has been installed successfully (reboot and check by uname -s). Notebook still hangs after wake up. What did those of you, who were successful?

You notice the difference? (hint: focus on the bold parts)

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

#30 2014-11-24 21:00:38

poseidon

root wrote:
poseidon wrote:
root wrote:

You notice the difference? (hint: focus on the bold parts)

The kernel afterwards had the right version number (3.17.2, did a uname -a). You really need doc and header files for this to work? No, not the docs, but the header files, right? What files are these header files compiled into? On my system linux-headers and linux-docs aren't even installed. And what is meant by "grab the kernel, the linux-headers and the linux-docs file"? How do I grab them other than by use of pacman?

#31 2014-11-24 21:20:12

root

@poseidon

Yes, the kernel numbers are right but the image was created with the 3.17.3 headers most likely as you did not download/install the related kernel headers. Thus in the end it fails despite using the "correct" kernel that worked before.

If you tell me that the headers aren't even installed how did you create the linux image??

Regarding the files you need even if docs is not "strictly" necessary it comes with "the linux pack" and that is the reason why I suggested you to grab all three to avoid any further problem.

As for how to grab them, the ARM allows you to download the packages directly just like a normal file download. After downloading the packages, yes all three, access the download folder and install the packages manually with

pacman -U linux-(version).pkg.tar.gz linux-headers(version).pkg.tar.gz linux-docs(version).pkg.tar.gz

which is too mentioned in the wiki

Last edited by root (2014-11-24 21:22:21)

\(o_X)/

#32 2014-11-24 21:33:57

poseidon

root wrote:

@poseidon

Yes, the kernel numbers are right but the image was created with the 3.17.3 headers most likely as you did not download/install the related kernel headers. Thus in the end it fails despite using the "correct" kernel that worked before.

If you tell me that the headers aren't even installed how did you create the linux image??

Regarding the files you need even if docs is not "strictly" necessary it comes with "the linux pack" and that is the reason why I suggested you to grab all three to avoid any further problem.

As for how to grab them, the ARM allows you to download the packages directly just like a normal file download. After downloading the packages, yes all three, access the download folder and install the packages manually with

pacman -U linux-(version).pkg.tar.gz linux-headers(version).pkg.tar.gz linux-docs(version).pkg.tar.gz

which is too mentioned in the wiki

Thought it was enough to follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ck_Machine and then do a pacman -Syy linux.

Back at the newest kernel pacman -Ss linux tells me:

core/linux 3.17.3-1 (base) [installed]
core/linux-docs 3.17.3-1
core/linux-headers 3.17.3-1

So, those packages aren't installed, are they?

#33 2014-11-24 23:59:19

root

poseidon wrote:

core/linux-docs 3.17.3-1

The result of your query is pretty much self-explanatory.
Even though I wonder in case you yourself didn't notice, didn't you mean to downgrade to a previous version from that of 3.17.3 as this kernel version was causing you the suspend-wakeup trouble?
If so, according to that same query you didn't succeed as you have that very same latest kernel installed.
There could be several reasons for this.
Maybe you still have the up-to-date mirrors active or you chose week instead of month when setting up the ARM mirror. In week the available kernel package is 3.17.3 whereas in month it is the 3.17.1 one as far as I can tell.

I still think the best option, unless you are confident in finding the mistake related to the ARM mirror and the kernel packages it provides you and follow that route, would be to 1) manually download the packages, install them and add the packages to pacman's ignore list until a fully working kernel is available or 2) switch meanwhile to the LTS kernel which is fully working.

\(o_X)/

#34 2014-11-25 08:08:42

poseidon

root wrote:
poseidon wrote:

core/linux-docs 3.17.3-1

The result of your query is pretty much self-explanatory.
Even though I wonder in case you yourself didn't notice, didn't you mean to downgrade to a previous version from that of 3.17.3 as this kernel version was causing you the suspend-wakeup trouble?
If so, according to that same query you didn't succeed as you have that very same latest kernel installed.
There could be several reasons for this.
Maybe you still have the up-to-date mirrors active or you chose week instead of month when setting up the ARM mirror. In week the available kernel package is 3.17.3 whereas in month it is the 3.17.1 one as far as I can tell.

I still think the best option, unless you are confident in finding the mistake related to the ARM mirror and the kernel packages it provides you and follow that route, would be to 1) manually download the packages, install them and add the packages to pacman's ignore list until a fully working kernel is available or 2) switch meanwhile to the LTS kernel which is fully working.

The version numbers are as they are, because I reinstalled 3.17.3 again, after I had seen, that the older kernel had no positive effect. I have put the query result here to show you, that on my machine headers and docs are not installed. When I was on 3.17.2 the print out of course was

core/linux 3.17.2-1 (base) [installed]
core/linux-docs 3.17.2-1
core/linux-headers 3.17.2-1

I tried all this on a non-production machine, which I currently haven't access to. As soon as I am at it again, I'll try your suggestions and will install the headers, too.

#35 2014-11-26 07:27:06

fennectech

would somebody be able to make the x86_64 kernel available for me  i just finished reloading arch after a hard disk replacement and i choose to go with x64    but i cant find the unaffected kernel  and as to fixing the problem im not a dev  there is no way ill be able to figure it out here

[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$ cat about_myself
Hello there my name is FennecTECH I am a novice arch user though I am here to learn  I live in central Minnesota where I hangout in the console and make my way into X11. Nice to meet you all! Enjoy my home directory feel free to poke around. There is a solution to every problem, so long as you do not break the laws of physics.
=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

#36 2014-11-26 17:49:23

fennectech

The problem doesnt seem to be present in the x86_64 kernel   if that helps

Hello there my name is FennecTECH I am a novice arch user though I am here to learn  I live in central Minnesota where I hangout in the console and make my way into X11. Nice to meet you all! Enjoy my home directory feel free to poke around. There is a solution to every problem, so long as you do not break the laws of physics.
=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

#37 2014-11-26 22:09:51

poseidon

Upgraded minutes ago --> kernel 3.17.4-1, and no change for the better :-(

#38 2014-11-27 07:51:18

archer108

Upgraded minutes ago --> kernel 3.17.4-1, and no change for the better :-(

same to me on i686 kernel
stay with kernel 3.17-2.1 that's save

#39 2014-11-28 04:37:44

cristu

Same for me. Return to Linux dell 3.17.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 30 20:31:16 CET 2014 i686 GNU/Linux

#40 2014-11-28 09:58:55

fennectech

i cant test it   because when i reloaded after replacing a disk the problem mysteriously vanished    i did go from i686 to x86_64

=^_^=
[FennecTECH@ArchOS ~]$

#41 2014-11-28 11:55:31

skunktrader

According to the bug report the error only affects i686 kernel 3.17.3 and 3.17.4

#42 2014-12-08 15:59:19

jarrett

no fix to this problem yet?
I mean except downgrading the kernel...

#43 2014-12-08 16:02:20

JDCNS

jarrett wrote:

no fix to this problem yet?
I mean except downgrading the kernel...

Not a fix, but if you read through the various bug reports, there is a workaround.  Put "dis_ucode_ldr" as a kernel parameter.  I tried this out last night, and it seems to work.  Note that this is a workaround which should be removed once it is fixed, as this parameter, from what I understand, is for debugging.

#44 2014-12-11 21:30:46

MisterEwok

Looks like the update today (3.17.6-1) fixed this same issue for me.

#45 2014-12-12 16:06:30

phairland

archer108 wrote:

after downgrading to kernel linux-3.17.2-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz with the command:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-3.17.2-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

the suspend problem was gone....

hope this helps

It works for me too !!!

#46 2014-12-18 21:08:52

jarrett

Yeah, seems to work for me too smile Great!

Board footer