You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-14 16:12:04

rls

mounting cdrom with kernel 2.6

After booting arch using the stock 2.6 kernel, I could no longer mount a cdrom. The symptom was no /dev/cdroms/cdrom0. None of the suggestions from other arch users with the same problem worked. The solution was to remove the expression hdc=ide-scsi from the grub stanza. No other modification, such as removing unhide in fstab entry for for cdroms, was necessary.

I had needed hdc=ide-scsi with the 2.4.x kernels. Could anyone explain why it is "poison" in the  2.6.x kernels?

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#2 2004-02-14 18:12:32

sarah31
Website

Re: mounting cdrom with kernel 2.6

dunno works hear for me. i could not burn without scsi support here and i have had no issues with my lilo append.

in order for a device that you are using scsi emulation on to have the /dev/cdroms/cdromX you must have ide-cd compiled into the kernel and you must load the sr_mod as well.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-02-15 19:03:38

rls

Re: mounting cdrom with kernel 2.6

Since my cd/dvd drive is only a "reader", I cannot say if my approach would work for burning.

As an experiment, I reinstated hdc=ide-scsi in the GRUB stanza, ide-cd is complied into the "stock" arch 2.6.2 kernel, and added sr_mod to the MODULES() list in  rc.conf. It worked, i.e. /dev/cdroms/crdomX is present and a cd could be mounted, but booting takes a little longer.

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

Board footer