You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-03 06:32:22

iaw4

[Solved] syslinux to new drive? --- ERROR invalid media signature

I am trying to create a copy of a working arch install.  (actually, both are on USB sticks; both have only one partition, each, both ext4; they are of different sizes, though.   I know both of my little USB sticks use the MBR.)

I started with the rsync to copy the partition:

# rsync -aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} /* /mnt/sdb1

I can see that my hierarchy has been properly recreated on /mnt/sdb1 (/mnt/sdb1/bin, /mnt/sdb1/boot, etc).  good.  I have also used fdisk to mark my /dev/sdb1 partition as active.  I have updated the UUIDs for the new blkid in /mnt/sdb1/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and in /etc/fstab .

now I want to install a syslinux on it.  ideally, I would be running in my old (sda1) distro and write

# syslinux -d /mnt/sdb1/boot/syslinux /dev/sdb

but this gives me a "syslinux: invalid media signature (not an FAT/NTFS volume)".  am I making a simple mistake here?

/iaw

Last edited by iaw4 (2014-12-05 01:26:38)

#2 2014-12-03 10:16:55

ukhippo

Re: [Solved] syslinux to new drive? --- ERROR invalid media signature

Have you tried following the manual install instructions from the wiki page for syslinux?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sy … al_install

#3 2014-12-03 14:03:17

ANOKNUSA

You can also use "syslinux-install_update -i -a -m /dev/sdb." Syslinux is actually a set of multibple tools; just running "syslinux" won't install the bootloader you want:

Syslinux man pages wrote:

Syslinux is a boot loader for the Linux operating system which operates off an MS-DOS/Windows FAT filesystem...

EXTLINUX  is a new syslinux derivative, which boots from a Linux ext2/ext3 filesystem...

So the string I mentioned above and the manual method ukhippo mentions are the most reliable methods, since you don't have to futz with a bunch of different tools to get it working.

#4 2014-12-04 07:56:27

iaw4

(yes, I had tried it.)  here is what worked for me.

# syslinux-install_update -i -a -m
Syslinux BIOS install failed
# extlinux --install /mnt/sdb1/boot/syslinux
/boot/syslinux is device /dev/sdb1

and now the reboot came up.  yeah!!

#5 2014-12-04 08:22:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer