You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-09 21:49:13

chosentorture

Do I need Network Manager for my tasks?

I connect to the Internet using Ethernet, Wifi and 3G USB modems and I need to create hotspots for Android.

I'm pretty satisfied with using the default CLI ip link + dhcpcd for Ethernet but I haven't used it for Wifi yet and I don't know whether I can scan for available networks via CLI just like Android does. I looked at the wiki for 3G USB modems and it seems to require packages which need NM. Finally, I need to create hotspots for my android. Can I do all this wihout using NM (and with simplicity that is similar to ip link +dhcpcd) because I don't want to use a systray and the nm-applet requires a systray to run.

Plus, the wiki says "In order to run nm-applet without a systray, you can use trayer or stalonetray." Aren't trayer and stalonetray also systrays?

Last edited by chosentorture (2014-12-09 22:14:49)

#2 2014-12-09 21:53:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Do I need Network Manager for my tasks?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-12-09 22:05:33

Raynman

chosentorture wrote:

Plus, the wiki says "In order to run nm-applet without a systray, you can use trayer or stalonetray." Aren't trayer and stalonetray also systrays?

They are. I believe the idea is that if you don't have a systray (perhaps as part of a "panel"), you can fire up stalonetray when you need to access the nm-applet and close it as soon as you're done interacting with it. Not ideal, but a decent solution to use the GUI for occasionally editing settings without dedicating part of your screen to a systray.

There's also nmcli and (I think) an ncurses interface for NM, but it's still little more than a frontend for a collection of lower-level tools, so if you're happy with those, you can forget NM.

Last edited by Raynman (2014-12-09 22:06:23)

#4 2014-12-09 22:19:11

chosentorture

Raynman wrote:

There's also nmcli and (I think) an ncurses interface for NM, but it's still little more than a frontend for a collection of lower-level tools, so if you're happy with those, you can forget NM.

So, can nmcli create hotspots for Android and use 3G USB?

#5 2014-12-09 22:41:19

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

chosentorture wrote:
Raynman wrote:

So, can nmcli create hotspots for Android and use 3G USB?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nmcli+hotspot

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer