You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-09 01:22:30

fameman100

makepkg not installing needed dependencies

this is my first tim with AUR in general, so sorry if this seems awfully noobish. I am trying to install a package ( specifically fbsplash) and i found that whenever i try to use makepkg it would not install the needed dependencies, even with the flag -s. I tried using  --asroot remembering that pacman needs root privliges to run, but i end up with the same thing. Is there something im doing horribly wrong, or is there a fix? thanks in advance

#2 2014-12-09 01:30:09

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: makepkg not installing needed dependencies

Welcome to Arch.  That particular package contains a dep that are not in the official repos, ie you must build it first.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/miscsplashutils/

My advice: Arch is not hard, you're just new.  Don't get discouraged and don't let anyone talk you into using an AUR helper.  Learn the basics, understand them, be a more capable and happy user.

Last edited by graysky (2014-12-09 01:31:10)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2014-12-09 01:40:54

karol
Archivist

fameman100 wrote:

I tried using  --asroot remembering that pacman needs root privliges to run

pacman needs these privileges to install packages. You can e.g. search as a regular user just fine.
Creating packages as a user should work OK, but to install them, you need the privileges.

Last edited by karol (2014-12-09 01:42:47)

#4 2014-12-09 20:50:20

fameman100

graysky wrote:

Welcome to Arch.  That particular package contains a dep that are not in the official repos, ie you must build it first.

thanks for the alternate package. it installed successfully and it was much easier thant the previous one. If it's not too much to ask, for future reference is there an efficient way to install a AUR package that has other AUR packages as dependencies?

My advice: Arch is not hard, you're just new.  Don't get discouraged and don't let anyone talk you into using an AUR helper.  Learn the basics, understand them, be a more capable and happy user.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was wondering if aur helpers were actually usable. I guess everything easy or hard is a learning experience.

#5 2014-12-11 22:20:36

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

fameman100 wrote:

For, future reference is there an efficient way to install a AUR package that has other AUR packages as dependencies?

Not really.  Just try and if you receive the error you'll need to look in the AUR for the package makepkg cannot install.  Try to build it... if you get the error again, you repeat until you are able to build/install.  Not a big deal.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer