You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-12 03:01:45

syamajala
Website

some cool stuff: qingy and graphical grub

I found a few cool things that i wanna try. The first is qingy: http://qingy.sourceforge.net/about.php

i installed it and changed my inittab but when i just get this error that says:
init: id "c1" respawning too fast: disable for 5 minutes

anyone know why that is happening?

the other thing i'm gonna try is this:
http://people.warp.es/~xtor/blog/?p=50

already recompiled grub with a gfxboot patch i found on frugalware.

EDIT: given a more descriptive title - Snowman

#2 2005-12-12 03:04:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: some cool stuff: qingy and graphical grub

I tried both a while back - qingy I was never able to get working properly, and just gave up on it, though it's a cool idea.

The graphical grub has a PKGBUILD in the AUR.

#3 2005-12-12 19:30:58

syamajala
Website

ok i'll take a look at that.

#4 2005-12-12 21:24:25

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

qingy looks cool. Some users could make it work with Arch: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=5665  I'll see if I can make it work too.

#5 2005-12-13 06:57:25

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I got qingy to works. big_smile . Still need more testing/tweaking before uploading it to AUR.
@syamajala: in  /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules
replace

KERNEL=="tty[0-9]*",    NAME="vc/%n"

by

KERNEL=="tty[0-9]*",    NAME="tty%n"

In /etc/inittab, set:

id:3:initdefault:

and replace

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/1 linux
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/6 linux

by

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty1
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty2
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty3
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty4
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty5
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

Maybe the udev stuff could be handled differently (still need to test that) but it works.

EDIT: the default qingy setings, don't work. Here's my current PKGBUILD:

pkgname=qingy
pkgver=0.6.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Qingy is a DirectFB getty replacement."
url="http://qingy.sourceforge.net"
license=""
depends=('directfb' 'pam' 'openssl')
source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/qingy/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('4815233c4258f54ffbfe822e4ab45152')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sbindir=/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
              --enable-optimizations 
              --enable-pam 
              --disable-static-build 
              --enable-gpm-lock
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
  install -d $startdir/pkg/var/lib/qingy

# fix settings for Arch
  sed -i 's|/etc/X11/Sessions/|/etc/X11/sessions/|' $startdir/pkg/etc/qingy/settings
  sed -i 's|#temp_files_dir = "/var/lib/misc"|temp_files_dir = "/var/lib/qingy"|' $startdir/pkg/etc/qingy/settings

# libtool-slay
  find $startdir/pkg -name '*.la' -exec rm {} ;

} 

#6 2006-01-26 14:29:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

Works here too - thanks Snowman smile

I did the udev stuff my putting

KERNEL=="tty[0-9]*", SYMLINK+="tty%n"

in my own ruleset, rather than edit the default rules. It occurred to me that maybe we have vc/X for a reason, so this way we still have it, but with ttyX as well.

I have one problem - my mouse doesn't work on the qingy screen. When the screen comes up, there's a mouse cursor in the centre, but it disappears as soon as I try to move it. Immediately after that, the Power button becomes highlighted, and the screen displays the 'system shutdown' message. The mouse is actually a Synaptics touchpad, so I'll try it with a real mouse at some stage in case that's the problem. It wouldn't matter so much if I could Tab to the Power/Reset/Saver/Sleep buttons, but it seems you can only tab between input boxes.

I like it so far, pending mouse solution. If I find anything useful about that, I'll post it.

#7 2006-01-26 19:13:00

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:

Works here too - thanks Snowman smile

I did the udev stuff my putting

KERNEL=="tty[0-9]*", SYMLINK+="tty%n"

in my own ruleset, rather than edit the default rules. It occurred to me that maybe we have vc/X for a reason, so this way we still have it, but with ttyX as well.

I'm not sure but I think I tried the symlinks and it wasn't working. If symlinks work then it could be best way to handle the udev stuff.

tomk wrote:

I have one problem - my mouse doesn't work on the qingy screen. When the screen comes up, there's a mouse cursor in the centre, but it disappears as soon as I try to move it. Immediately after that, the Power button becomes highlighted, and the screen displays the 'system
shutdown' message. The mouse is actually a Synaptics touchpad, so I'll try it with a real mouse at some stage in case that's the problem. It wouldn't matter so much if I could Tab to the Power/Reset/Saver/Sleep buttons, but it seems you can only tab between input boxes.

I like it so far, pending mouse solution. If I find anything useful about that, I'll post it.

I've experienced the same problem with a synaptic touchpad. It works fine with a regular mouse.  I haven't looked much into that.
Another problem I experienced is that it doesn't work with all the DE/WM session. Here it was working with my ~/.xsession, fvwm and fluxbox. The kde and xfce4  sessions would not work. The screen would go black for a second (I think there was messages that I didn't had time to read) and return to the login screen. I tried to see if it wasn't due to a path/option problem with the .desktop files but couldn't find anything.

After experiencing the touchpad problem, I went back with agetty.  I might use qingy again as I mostly use a regular mouse with my laptop and the .desktop problem doesn't really affect me as the ~/.xsession works.

I could still put qingy in the AUR if there's an interest for it.  Thanks for the feedback. smile Any additionnal feedback would be appreciated.

#8 2006-01-26 21:47:50

tomk
Forum Fellow

It turns out xfce4.desktop doesn't work for me, either - but as you say, not so much of a problem as long as .xsession is OK.

I think the synaptics thing is to do with framebuffers in general - I suddenly remembered trying the links browser with fb graphics, and the pad didn't work there either. I'll do a bit more digging.

I'd say stick it in the AUR - you'll get one vote anyway! wink

#9 2006-01-27 02:29:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

OK. I'll put it in AUR. I still need to "tweak" the udev stuff.

#10 2006-01-27 13:52:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

I think I'll be sticking with qingy for the moment. I've done a bit of theme work, and I now have it looking just like slim (slim doesn't work with xorg7, but that's another story....). I also asked the dev about tabbing to the buttons, and he/she patiently reminded me about qingy's keybinds, so I've taken the buttons off the screen, and disabled the mouse in /etc/directfbrc - I prefer using the keyboard anyway, so that suits me fine.

#11 2006-01-27 21:26:29

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

The mouse disabling trick is nice to know. I noticed that I was also using symlinks in it's own udev rules file. My rule is a bit different from yours so I'll look into that.  I also messed with themes as I check out the theme pack. Some of them are looking good some not. The buttons seem to be too big, they overlap each other and/or are off the sreen. Not sure if it's because some of theme were made for qingy 0.3 or it's a resolution/directfb config issue. Here's the PKGBUILD in case someone is interested:

pkgname=qingy-themes
pkgver=1.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Themes for qingy"
url="http://qingy.sourceforge.net"
source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/qingy/qingy_0.3_themepack_1.0.tar.bz2 http://xlyz.altervista.org/packages/dragonfly-qingy.tar.gz)
md5sums=('578413ba5861c667674b6d65976a0370' 'ee5cc2c81c2704d93063b4f9359cfdd4')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/qingy_0.3_themepack_1.0
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/qingy/themes
  cp -r * $startdir/pkg/usr/share/qingy/themes
  cp -r $startdir/src/dragonfly $startdir/pkg/usr/share/qingy/themes
  rm -r $startdir/pkg/usr/share/qingy/themes/{README,biohazard/theme~,casablanca/theme~,kitten/theme~,lambretta/theme~,matrix/theme~,vendetta2/.xvpics,vendetta3/.xvpics}
}

It might also take some time to get qingy in AUR as there's a cvs PKGBUILD for directfb in AUR.  I've ask and will give time to its maintainer to rename it to directfb-cvs.

#12 2006-01-27 22:26:15

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yeah, I'm using that directfb cvs build, actually - just because it was there. It works fine, but I suppose the stable release would be preferable alright.

I haven't looked at the themes, just made my own, using the default as a template.

#13 2006-01-28 00:25:01

PJ

tomk wrote:

slim doesn't work with xorg7, but that's another story.....

Little OT but  I have slim working with xorg7 but it wouldn't work from the begining.  I had to edit some paths in /etc/slim.conf which wasn't that hard. I guess this isn't really interesting now after you got qingy but if it helps, these are the paths that I have. I can't remeber what I really did change, compared to the original config file.

# Path, X server and arguments (if needed)
default_path        ./:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
default_xserver     /usr/bin/X
xserver_arguments   -nolisten tcp vt07

#14 2006-01-28 09:21:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

Thanks PJ, for pointing out my massive error. :oops:  roll  :oops:  roll

I got so hung on the fact that slim won't build on xorg7 that it never occurred to me to just change the path for the existing binary .... DOH!

We can now return to a sesnible discussion about qingy, while I go and apologise to various people for wasting their time.......

#15 2006-01-28 10:16:10

tomk
Forum Fellow

Well, look at that. roll

With everyone's help and my own sheer dumb luck, I've ended up with phrak's original scenario from this thread:

Then qingy pops up on 6/7 consoles
With SLiM running on the 7th

except that I stll have one agetty on vc/6, in case of problems. There haven't been any though, so I think I'll qingy that one too. big_smile

#16 2006-01-31 06:58:11

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

qingy is now in AUR. smile  I've also added a qingy theme in AUR:qingy-theme-arch It's based on the darch theme from Dibble's gensplash package. I am now on a archck/gensplash/qingy system. 8) I'll probably set my lilo to use a background too.

#17 2006-02-04 01:33:46

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I didn't had these issues. Maybe directfb needs extra configuration in your case. Check:
man directfbrc

Also, what graphic card/drivers are you using?

#18 2006-02-04 04:16:17

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Glad you got it to work. smile

#19 2006-03-11 15:38:07

syamajala
Website

has anyone tried the grub from aur? I installed it and stuff but i still get the blue and cyan grub menu. i set splashimage in the menu.lst too.

#20 2006-03-11 15:55:15

syamajala
Website

silly me. i forgot to reinstall grub. I only updated my grub package, but never actually ran install-grub.

#21 2006-03-11 16:51:39

syamajala
Website

Snowman: i did better than you ;-p grub with gfx, qingy, fbsplash, and pretty soon xgl. with archck. might also play with e17 again. I am also looking into matchbox.

#22 2006-03-11 17:44:22

test1000

syamajala wrote:

Snowman: i did better than you ;-p grub with gfx, qingy, fbsplash, and pretty soon xgl. with archck. might also play with e17 again. I am also looking into matchbox.

lol, what a cool quote. Bleeding edge hobby, eh? smile

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#23 2006-03-11 21:10:03

syamajala
Website

i seem to have a few problems with qingy.
1. it doesn't like zsh. one of my users uses zsh but when i log in to that user it just goes straight back to the qingy log in screen. it works if i login without qingy.
2. can't log in as root from qingy. it just says login failed all the time.
3. can't shutdown or sleep or anything. I set my config file to only allow root to shutdown the system but when i type in my root password and click sleep or something it says you must enter your root password. hibernate works fine from the command line.

anyone know how to fix these issues?

#24 2006-03-12 00:14:04

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

1.  update to 0.7.2
2.  same here. I can't even login into agetty as root. Could be pam/security related.
3.  same here also. I'm not sure if it does the shutdown then hangs or just hangs. This problem started when I switch to the gensplash stuff and had kernel/acpi problems so I thought it was something on my system.

I'll do some test when I'll have time.

#25 2006-03-12 01:10:45

syamajala
Website

thanks. 0.7.2 also seems to have fixed my xgl problem. The only thing left for me to do is get my touchscreen working again.

Board footer