You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-20 13:47:00

lucacerone
Website

Pacman: enhancement proposal

Hi everybody,
I hope this is the right place in the forum to talk about this.

I have a suggestion for a minor pacman enhancement (I am not too much of a developer so I wouldn't know where to start to implement, but of course I'll be glad to contribute if I am able): every time I use pacman I find myself going to the Arch home page to check if there is some message/issue I should be aware of. I think it would be great if we could have this sort of messages displayes directly from pacman in the command line.

I think it could be helpful being to able to run "pacman -Syu" knowing that if there is no message than it is just a standard upgrade: sometimes I forget to check Arch's home before upgrading and when I do I always fear of having broken things because I didn't complete some pre-update steps (sometimes I did).

What do you think about it could this be useful (maybe as an option rather than the standard default)?

#2 2014-12-20 13:52:07

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Pacman: enhancement proposal

The bbs is not the right place for this.. you should search the bug tracker and if not there open a feature request.  I believe someone has written a pacman wrapper that checks the news page and informs the user if something is there.  Can't remember what's it's called or if it's a figment of my imagination.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2014-12-20 13:53:13

bstaletic

Take a look at pacnanny. And read the README on project github page.

#4 2014-12-20 14:17:21

ANOKNUSA

The other would be pacmatic. You can also subscribe to the arch-dev-public mailing list and learn of any special update conditions days in advance.

#5 2014-12-20 14:20:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

graysky is correct that feature requests for pacman should be sent to the bugtracker.  But I'd advise against submitting this one as it will almost certainly be closed and will not be implemented.  The reason being that pacman is not exclusively an arch-specific tool.  Other distros (with different repositories, and thus different newsworthy updates) can and do also use pacman.  So something wired into pacman to check archlinux.org for news would not work.

There are several wrapper tools that already exist that do exactly this.  Some mentioned above already.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2014-12-20 14:26:22

Scimmia
Fellow

Slightly more thought out proposal: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27653

Of course, you could simply subscribe to the arch-announce mailing list and the whole thing is moot.

Last edited by Scimmia (2014-12-20 14:27:30)

#7 2014-12-20 14:31:19

lucacerone
Website

Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers! Next time I have some feature request I'll go to the bugtracker! Sorry to have posted in the wrong place.

I wasn't aware of pacnanny (that does exactly what I was thinking) and of pacmatic (that is slightly different but still interesting).
I am now curious to see if I can understand their implementation smile

Thanks a lot again!

Board footer