You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-18 13:01:56

Archer22

[SOLVED] File (Notes2) is created every time during boot

Hi,

I've a problem with that every time I boot my laptop and log in, a file created in my homefolder which is called "Notes2". Furthermore I can also see that this file is opened by some program, because there is also an opened version of it.

The content of the file is as follows:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//K Desktop Environment//NONSGML libkcal 4.3//EN
VERSION:2.0
X-KDE-ICAL-IMPLEMENTATION-VERSION:1.0
END:VCALENDAR

Somehow it seems to be related to some kind of calendar (program), the file has a VCS/ICS extension. Every time I delete, the next time during boot/shutdown its recreated. Any tips how to get rid of this?

Last edited by Archer22 (2014-12-23 14:02:39)

#2 2014-12-18 13:30:28

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] File (Notes2) is created every time during boot

What makes you think this file is created during the boot process rather than when you log in? I would expect the file to be created during the latter.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2014-12-18 13:40:53

karol
Archivist

#4 2014-12-23 12:59:38

Archer22

@WorMzy: you are right, the creation of the files are connected to my login procedure. Because when I don't log in they are not there. Does that tell me anything? Maybe its related to some kind of program which is only started when I log in?

@karol: why should I use that? As far as I can see, its only to easily setup some folders to manage the Desktop?

#5 2014-12-23 13:20:59

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Well, it tells us that it isn't created by the services that are started during the boot process, so you should probably update your thread title to reflect this. Since we know this file is created when you log in, we can safely assume that it is created by an application set to autostart through some means. The means often depend on your DE/WM, and from the content of the file, I assume that you are using KDE. This may complicate matters, as I believe that KDE re-opens your previous sessions applications by default.Try logging in with a "clean" session, and see if the file is still created. If not, then it is created by a manually opened program, so open up any applications you suspect might be creating the file, and check if the file is created; otherwise, it is created by one of the autostarting applications. Disable any likely suspects, and keep logging back in, enabling them one by one, and checking for the file. Eventually you will identify the culprit.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2014-12-23 14:01:59

Archer22

WorMzy wrote:

Well, it tells us that it isn't created by the services that are started during the boot process, so you should probably update your thread title to reflect this. Since we know this file is created when you log in, we can safely assume that it is created by an application set to autostart through some means. The means often depend on your DE/WM, and from the content of the file, I assume that you are using KDE. This may complicate matters, as I believe that KDE re-opens your previous sessions applications by default.Try logging in with a "clean" session, and see if the file is still created. If not, then it is created by a manually opened program, so open up any applications you suspect might be creating the file, and check if the file is created; otherwise, it is created by one of the autostarting applications. Disable any likely suspects, and keep logging back in, enabling them one by one, and checking for the file. Eventually you will identify the culprit.

Thanks for the help. I found a service (which I created myself) to arhive some notes in Akonadi. Deleting the service solved the problem.

Board footer