You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-28 20:33:12

pertplus2

Virtualbox only runs as root

Hello,

I am having an issue with VirtualBox. Although the user is added to the vboxusers group, I get an error when trying to run the qt fontend 'virtualbox' that says 'Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object", and under 'details' it says            "NS_BASE_STREAM_WOULD_BLOCK".

However if I run 'virtualbox' as root the manager window does pop up and appears to work properly, though I havent tried creating or starting a vm as root.

I have tried using both the offical repository version and the AUR binary and in both cases I get the COM object error with the user.  However when I used the official version, running 'virtualbox' as root would cause a blank window to pop up and give me lots of QT errors in the terminal, whereas with the binary version the manager window pops up and seems to work properly.

I am on x86_64 system and using LXQT as my desktop environment.  Is it possible something in the virtualbox frontend is conflicting with LXQT?  I looked online and found some people with similar problem but nothing I've tried seems to work. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

#2 2014-12-28 20:43:19

pertplus2

Re: Virtualbox only runs as root

I figured it out right after posting this, for anyone who has same issue, my problem was that for some reason, the user's ~/.config/Virtualbox folder and all contents were owned by root. Chowning to the user solved the problem!

I'm not sure why the files were owned by root, whetehr it was my mistake or something wrong with the AUR binary for virtualbox.

I did try swithcing back to the official repo version just to see if it also works, and it does. However after installing the package and some optional dependencies I saw I again had 2 files in ~/.config/Virutalbox that belong to root. It still ran however. Either way I changed them to be owned by the user and all seems to work now.

Last edited by pertplus2 (2014-12-28 20:50:13)

Board footer