You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-12 08:30:42

rztka

change permissions after copying files from CDs

In gnome nautilus, when I copy files from CDs, permissions stay read-only for normal user - I would like to change this and make all files readable AND writable everytime I copy something from CDs. It is very tiring to switch to root and change permissions after every copying.

Is there any way how to do it?

thanks in advance,
t.

#2 2006-03-13 13:21:36

FUBAR
Website

Re: change permissions after copying files from CDs

You can mount the CD in such a way that the files are owned by your normal user:

/etc/fstab

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cd iso9660 uid=<youruser>,gid=users,noauto,user 0 0

This doesn't change the file permissions while copying tho. Maybe there's a special cp argument for that. At least you won't have to switch to root to change the permissions.

The "best" way is to burn your CD's in Linux and preserve the file permissions. But I know that's not a very realistic option. wink

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2006-03-13 14:43:23

rztka

FUBAR wrote:

You can mount the CD in such a way that the files are owned by your normal user:

/etc/fstab

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cd iso9660 uid=<youruser>,gid=users,noauto,user 0 0

thanks fubar, but do you know how to do this in case there are no permanent lines in my /etc/fstab for removable media? They are created after inserting the media by.. hmm.... hal or gnome-volume manager?? (please correct me if I am wrong wink )

#4 2006-03-13 16:02:04

FUBAR
Website

I'm using AutoFS so I don't have any permanent lines in /etc/fstab either. They're in AutoFS's config file though.

I don't have any experience with HAL or Gnome's volume manager, so I can't help you there. Although I'm pretty sure those programs have config files too.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer