You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-27 01:41:22

antony

Three issues with Lenovo's X1 carbon

Grouping a few issues on my Lenovo X1 Carbon that have been bugging me there, I am interested if anyone has solutions for any of them...

- The function key strip sometimes completely stop working after a while, e.g. after leaving the laptop overnight.

- I am trying use corner taps as right and middle clicks (either via a synclient setting or graphically with kcm_touchpad), but this doesn't seem to work (i.e. nothing special happens on a tap).

- Autodetection of the Linux kernel by refind (on a dual-boot setup) is a bit sketchy -- I need to rescan manually a few times to make it work (using a longer timeout doesn't solve the problem); moreover the Linux kernel is never autodetected on a reboot (so I always need to turn the computer off and on again).

Thanks in advance.

#2 2014-12-27 02:06:44

WonderWoofy

Re: Three issues with Lenovo's X1 carbon

I don't have this machine, so I cannot speak for the first two problems.  But the rEFInd issue seems pretty easily solveable.  Just use manual stanzas to tell it exactly where to find the kernel (and what arguments to give it).  I don't see why you would continue to rely on autodetection if it proves spotty, and I really don't see how that is the fault of the particular system you are using.

#3 2015-01-01 14:19:24

antony

Unfortunately I haven't been able to come up with the correct manual stanza to make it work (i.e., using the parameters of the refind-mkrlconf-generated refind_linux.conf do not work).  Probably just need more trial and error...

#4 2015-01-02 00:27:48

WonderWoofy

You might want to give gummiboot a shot.  Because it doesn't do any automagic scanning for loaders/kernels, it is very easy to configure.  You just have to have some basic knowledge of what is needed on the kernel command line.  Typically this would be the "initrd=/path/to/initramfs-linux.img root=/dev/sdXY rw".  Though with gummiboot, there is a separate initrd line that can be used to sepcify that first initrd= part.

Board footer