You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-18 17:04:49

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

SCM's

I use Subversion currently.
Some people i know use darcs..I looked into it a while back, and decided I didn't like it. Same for GNU-Arch.

I have heard of monotone lately. I might check that one out. And there is always 'git'. I haven't researched the progress on that. I don't know how far it has come yet.

Opinions? Experiences?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-08-18 17:59:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: SCM's

I find subversion easiest to use from both windows and linux - that's why I like it best... not sure about other things...

#3 2005-08-18 19:49:52

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

subversion gets my vote too.

One problem with the others is that they aren't common, so people have to relearn it. Subversion is enough like the ubiquitous cvs that most people can pick it up quickly, and its better enough than cvs that few people will complain about making the switch.

Dusty

#4 2006-03-13 20:44:12

shbang

Just wondering if anyone out there might have a suggestion to help me convince my management to take another path.  My employer is currently planning on our network team using subversion for document control since subversion is what our development team uses for control of source code.  Most of the documents that will be placed under version control by the network team are non-ascii (i.e. word doc's, visio diagrams, photographs, etc).  Does this make sense or is there a better solution?

#5 2006-03-13 21:34:15

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

subversion will handle binary data just fine.
I *believe* subversion does some type of binary diffing..dont remember offhand. If not, then it just stores the binaries as full diffs, which can chew up some storage space.

Other than that potential issue (not even sure if it is an issue, like I said), I don't see a problem with such a setup.

ps. I have moved to bazaar-ng as my scm.
(listed for purposes of this thread)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2006-03-13 21:55:55

shbang

Thanks.  Guess I can live with that (since I also manage the SAN).  I would rather use bzr or  mercurial or git or something (distributed)!  Are you in management?  Like I said I'm trying to talk them OUT of it.

#7 2006-03-13 22:15:03

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

heh. Not currently.
tongue

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#8 2006-03-13 22:23:35

shbang

In all seriousness thanks for your input.  Guess the tools don't matter as much as how you implement them.

#9 2006-03-13 22:51:50

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

No problem.
tongue

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#10 2006-03-13 23:36:36

iphitus
Forum Fellow

git's progressed amazingly well, it's very complete and usable. as has been said before, its designed with an emphasis on being distributed.
I've been fiddling with gti and stacked git (stgit) to replace my current workflow with quilt for archck....

iphitus

#11 2006-03-14 01:22:17

shbang

I have been leaning towards git also but I'm torn between git, mercurial, and bzr (usually in that order).  Some of the peple I work with only use windoz - thus my interest in mercurial.  As i understand it the translation from git to mercurial to git is not problematic so I could use whichever I prefer.

Board footer