You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-02 14:09:38

iaw4

global mounting default timeout of 1min 30s

I know that there are mount options in /etc/fstab to help control timeout for individual file system mounts, but I am not too fond of tinkering with /etc/fstab because it becomes less portable.  is there a system-wide way to change this 1:30 min mounting timeout parameter globally, applying to all mounts, that I can change?

/iaw

PS: I hope everyone has forgotten my embarrassing post yesterday.  long story.  I was not mentally ill.

#2 2015-01-02 14:20:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: global mounting default timeout of 1min 30s

As mounting is just a service (edit: a systemd unit), I suspect you can't change this without affecting other services units (without using fstab options).  In some cases, setting too low of a timeout may make some services fail when they would actually complete eventually.  That said, I suspect that the following in /etc/systemd/system.conf are what you are looking for:

#DefaultTimeoutStartSec=90s                                                                                                                                                        
#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s

EDIT: corrected terminology from "service" to "unit" as noted below - the point remains the same.

Last edited by Trilby (2015-01-02 16:46:24)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-01-02 16:41:53

alphaniner

Re: global mounting default timeout of 1min 30s

systemd.mount(5) mentions the TimeoutSec option for .mount units, and that its "default value is set from the manager configuration file's DefaultTimeoutStart= variable." But that doesn't jive with systemd-system.conf(5) which says "For non-service units, DefaultTimeoutStartSec= sets the default TimeoutSec= value." There is also no mention of DefaultTimeoutStart in systemd-system.conf(5), so the reference to it in systemd.mount(5) may just be typo.

Trilby wrote:

As mounting is just a service

Technically mounting comes down to the .mount units, which are not services. That's my understanding anyway.

Last edited by alphaniner (2015-01-02 16:43:29)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer