You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-03 17:25:49

mocambo

[SOLVED] Safe way to replace supporting package

Im trying to upgrade "gdrivefs" package from AUR where dependency "fusepy" is replaced to "python2-fusepy-git".

Upgrade fails because "python2-fusepy-git" conflicts with "fusepy" - they share same file.

Uninstallig of "fusepy" is tricky, because it intends to uninstall "gdrivefs" itself and messes hierarcy of dependency.

So what is the safest way to upgrade package and replacing one dependency with another ?

Last edited by mocambo (2015-01-04 15:20:11)

#2 2015-01-03 22:12:39

drcouzelis
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Safe way to replace supporting package

I don't quite understand your situation, but here's what I do sometimes:

If I have a package I need to replace with another and I'm absolutely sure I know what I'm doing then I'll "rip" out the old package then immediately install the new package. To uninstall one package and one package only, use the command:

pacman -Rdd fusepy # WARNING: This leaves your dependencies in a unsettled state

Then, immediately install the new package that replaces the old one. This will correct the dependency issue that you just created by ripping out the old package. That's it! smile

EDIT: Trilby's method below is the better non-lazy way. smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2015-01-04 01:40:11)

#3 2015-01-03 22:33:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Safe way to replace supporting package

Uninstall gdrivefs and fusepy.  Build and install python2-fusepy-git.  Rebuild and install gdrivefs:

Pacman -Rs gdrivefs
cd /path/tp/python2-fusepy-git
makepkg -si --asdeps
cd /path/to/grdivefs
makepkg -si

I suspect the problem is you are using an AUR helper without knowing how the AUR works.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer