You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-14 15:08:37

EAD

Some basic things I need to know before install

Hii I am new to ARCH and need to know some things
1)Can I have rasier 4 with thie distro? I heard it's fast and want to use it.
2)I have DHCP network, and I need to provide my DNS and host and not to get it from the modem, How do it right?
3)I have nvidia and generic screen , how to set it up right?
4) What more Should I know about ARCH? I have read most of the FAQ and WIKI and so on, but more info will be good wink

Hope to get a lot of answers and info smile

#2 2006-03-14 15:25:24

Sigi

Re: Some basic things I need to know before install

Welcome to Arch!
1. I think you mean reiserfs4: Reiserfs is no problem with the stock Arch Linux Kernel and the archck-kernel available in the extra repository. If you intend to compile your own kernel make sure you enable reiserfs if your config. But I personaly think it would bring you less problems if you start by using ext3 – you wouldn't see a huge difference in speed.
2. simply done by configuring your /etc/rc.conf file in the network section this way:

eth0="dhcp"

and your /etc/resolv.conf like this, substituting your nameservers' IPs and your domain name:

nameserver 61.23.173.5
nameserver 61.95.849.8
search example.com

More info here
3. RTFM
4. What do you want to know? I could talk for hours about Arch so feel free to ask…

Cheers Sigi

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#3 2006-03-14 16:06:47

EAD

I am pretty new to ARCH, but I have some kndolge to linux, I want to know all I can get, I want to do the install and have all install with out preoblems, so I can have a good stable system running
I also need a lot of devlopmnt tools for C,C++,JAVA,LIPS,Scheme and so on...
I want a blazing fast OS  :twisted: , I dont care a lot about stable, but I dont want to see my computer crash too often.
I also love living on the edge so I like all the newest programs, and I usually compile my linux from Source.
So I need to get more info, about everything, because install a new OS is like a war sometimes, and I better get ready before.
and about the "extra repository", how can I get it and how to download it so when install the new OS, it will make me drive be reiserfs4 ?
I need a lot info, I love reading and knowing more about a good OS, and I want to know that I have made the right decision.

#4 2006-03-14 16:24:53

Sigi

You will know that you have made the right decision right after the install. Arch seems to be the perfect distro for your purpose. Its bleeding edge (which distro has got Xorg7 yet in the [current]-repository, between the [unstable] [extra] [testing] and so on repository?  :twisted:) Arch provides all you need to install prebuilt packages using pacman and build your own packages using ABS. It features a user-repository called AUR with a lot of packages provided by Arch Users. (Easy to install using "qpkg" or "aurbuild")

To enable additional repos you just need to uncomment them in the /etc/pacman.conf. The philosophy of Arch is to give you the full control over your system. Its filesystem-structure is very logical and pacman and ABS are IMO an unbeatable team. They provide the cleanest way of maintaining a mixture of self-made and pre-built packages. You will love Arch!

#5 2006-03-14 16:28:16

EAD

Wow, so many new words smile
Can you give me better explain of things like Pacman,ABS,AUR , "qpkg" or "aurbuild" and so on?
I want to understand all the way how arch mannage packages  :?:

#6 2006-03-14 16:29:43

Sigi

I tought you have read the wiki?  wink

#7 2006-03-14 16:32:25

Sigi

Start reading here:
Getting started
HowTos

#8 2006-03-14 16:41:16

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Sigi wrote:

I tought you have read the wiki?  wink

8)

#9 2006-03-14 16:44:01

EAD

I have read it, but I want even more info then this

#10 2006-03-14 16:51:51

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

hmm.... given that our wiki is pretty thorough, you'll have to ask for something more specific than "more info".  All the terms you said you hadn't heard about have full-length pages in the wiki explaining them.

The wiki is hard to navigate sometimes. Did you read all the pages starting here?:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:HowTos

Nobody's going to want to write a forum post that contains more info than that on the off chance one of the things is what you want to know. We're pretty good at answering specific questions, but its hard to guess what things you do and don't know about. Try some specific questions. Eg:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

:-)

Dusty

#11 2006-03-14 16:55:32

Sigi

I think you just want to test how long I am willing to write essays about Arch instead of doing my work. (Yes, work - I have a social life, work (ok, I'm student and just working atm) AND even a girlfriend ;-) ) So please read all the HowTos in the wiki and you will know much more than I do about Arch. Set up Arch following the documentation by doing an ftp or base install and install your whole system using pacman. (for example "pacman -S xfce4", which will install xfce4 for you) You won't be disapointed, I promise.

Cheers Sigi

PS: You said you want bleeding edge, IIRC, there's a repo maintained by shadowhand featuring xfce4-svn - updated daily or every second day...

#12 2006-03-14 17:21:42

EAD

Ok, so only some more things
First of all I really appreciate every help I get from you  :!:
I want to know if there is an IRC channel I can get help on ARCH, and in what server.
I also didn't understand why should I do a FTP install with base insted of full cd?
and How can I install Rasier 4?

#13 2006-03-14 19:22:14

Lone_Wolf

EAD wrote:

I also didn't understand why should I do a FTP install with base insted of full cd?

The packages on the cd are over 2 months old, and don't include Xorg 7 , KDE 3.5.1  etc.

Check this http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=18063

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#14 2006-03-14 19:28:04

EAD

amm OK, and what is the IRC for ARCH linux?

#15 2006-03-14 21:01:43

paul2lv

Server: irc.freenode.org
Channel: #archlinux

Board footer