You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-08 12:14:59

d125q

Configuring fonts in URxvt (with Infinality)

I just installed Arch in a VirtualBox and so far everything's working well. I use xmonad with URxvt as my terminal emulator. I also installed Infinality. I chose the "combi" preset from Infinality.

However, there is one thing that puzzles me. My ~/.Xresources looks like this:

! Xft settings ------------------------------------------------------------------

Xft.dpi:         96
Xft.antialias:   true
Xft.rgba:        rgb
Xft.hinting:     true
Xft.hintstyle:   hintslight

! URxft settings ----------------------------------------------------------------

URxvt*scrollBar: false
URxvt*font:      xft:Inconsolatazi4:pixelsize=16
URxvt*boldFont:  xft:Inconsolatazi4:bold:pixelsize=16

The URxvt* settings work fine. However, changing the Xft.* settings does absolutely nothing to URxvt, yet it affects GTK applications (gVim and Emacs). Why is this so? I have a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file created by lxappearance, yet .Xresources overrides it, but again, does nothing to URxvt (for example, setting Xft.antialias and Xft.hinting to false shows no difference in URxvt, but there's a world of difference in gVim). Why is this so?

#2 2015-01-08 16:55:32

ℜ ™

Re: Configuring fonts in URxvt (with Infinality)

Try replacing the dot (.) with asterisk (*).

#3 2015-01-08 18:03:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Configuring fonts in URxvt (with Infinality)

I can confirm this and changing the . -> * doesn't do anything. urxvt seems to be prefering the fontconfig DPI and antialias settings now and this was not the default behavior before (I don't think anyway. Although, I don't recall the last time that I edited the DPI info in my fontconfig settings). For instance, these are the relevant lines from .Xresources:

Xft*dpi:                    102
Xft*antialias:              1
Xft*rgba:                   rgb
Xft*autohint:               0
Xft*lcdfilter:              lcddefault
Xft*hinting:                1
Xft*hintstyle:              hintfull

This helps GTK to behave the way that I want it to, but changes nothing in urxvt. But since urxvt is already doing what I want it to do, I didn't notice.

By the way, I'm not using infinality. I am using all of the fonts from the bundle except for DejaVu* and DejaVu Sans Mono is what I'm testing against.

Last edited by skottish (2015-01-08 18:18:14)

Board footer