You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-15 01:03:49

redbeard

extras installation problem

well i couldnt get the iso to install all the extras, all i could get installed was the base, when i tried to install the other stuff, it says something about dependices, i was just wondering if i could download all the stuff that i dont have using pacman or something, also can i get kde installed on here?

#2 2006-03-15 01:27:01

raskolnikov

Re: extras installation problem

Just install the base system and configure your rc.conf, then do a pacman -Syu and after that, you can install everything you want. Fore kde, pacman -S kde (but check the wiki first, there is a little configuration to do with fam). Oh, and you should get xorg working (again, check the wiki) before trying setup kde, of course smile

Excessive showering, grooming, and toothbrushing is not only vain, it wastes valuable coding time.

#3 2006-03-15 01:32:40

lilsirecho
Veteran

The best and recommended procedure is to install base packages only and get the system booted up. 

Then with internet access perform the pacman upgrade with... pacman -s pacman...generates a cache for packages...then follow that with pacman -Syu to upgrade.

If you desire KDE it can then be installed via.... pacman -S kde....which installs all of kde.

The latest kernel uses udev, xorg 7  and requires ID's such as... /dev/hdx.. in fstab rather than.... dev/discs/disc0/partx.

Wiki info exists for all of these steps.

Install base, then upgrade...select base pkgs and install default..enter the config data and grub or lilo bootloader and the system should boot to internet.

Good luck!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2006-03-15 05:18:30

redbeard

does anyone know what the link is for the wiki arch linux kde install, i tried to find it, but no luck so far

#5 2006-03-15 16:16:58

lilsirecho
Veteran

Kde installs with.... pacman -S kde.

The kde system has a dependency on X, xorg 7 as on the latest kernel.

To enable kde, enter.... kdm... in the daemons array of rc.conf.

There will be no kde without X.

When xorg 7 is correctly entered,...startx...if x window appears. enter.......
...exec startkde... 

Hope these notes are helpful...

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer