You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-06 18:23:48

Olorin

[SOLVED] linux-grsec on macbook pro 9,2 - battery and network problems

I have a macbook pro 9,2 on which I am dual booting OS X and arch. I am using xfce as my DE on the arch installation. Since installing and switching over to linux-grsec, my system seems unable to detect the presence of a battery (specifically my arch system - OS X still detects my battery just fine). The xfce battery monitor panel icon sits at 50% and does not change regardless of whether AC power is connected or not. Xfce power manager can detect whether or not the computer is receiving AC power, but does not show the existence of a battery. Running

# acpi -b

yields an empty output, as does running

# dmesg | grep -i battery

These methods all properly detected my battery prior to the installation of linux-grsec. I was unable to find any similar problems via google or the arch forums, and find myself at a loss for where to look to learn what I need to do to resolve this. I would very much like to avoid returning to the default kernel, if possible. I appreciate any assistance that you can offer, though if given a choice I would prefer the means to figure out the answer over the answer itself.

Last edited by Olorin (2015-01-10 20:48:07)

#2 2015-01-08 00:00:36

Olorin

Re: [SOLVED] linux-grsec on macbook pro 9,2 - battery and network problems

Update: I updated my mirrorlist and updated my system (sudo pacman -Syyu), and miraculously my arch installation detects my battery again. Equally miraculously, my arch installation no longer recognizes my bandwidth usage. Conky and the xfce network monitor applet both display 0Kb/s for uploads and downloads even when, for example, I am watching a youtube video or downloading a file.

#3 2015-01-10 20:47:05

Olorin

Re: [SOLVED] linux-grsec on macbook pro 9,2 - battery and network problems

Update:
Regarding the battery: I have determined that the update I performed had nothing to do with the detection of my battery. Arch detects my battery when AC power is connected during bootup (and continues to detect it even if I remove AC power after bootup), and does not detect my battery if AC power is not connected during bootup (and continues to not detect it even if AC power is connected after bootup). I did not notice before because by coincidence I started using my macbook without the power cord attached at the same time that I installed linux-grsec. Now that the problem is more clear and specific, I am migrating it to its own post found here.
Regarding bandwidth usage: Conky and Network Manager failing to display bandwidth usage actually occured immediately after switching to linux-grsec, I just did not notice this failure at first. The problem ended up being quite simple. Unbeknownst to me, linux-grsec changed my wireless interface name from wlp2s0 to wlp2s0b1. Network Manager and Conky were therefore failing to display bandwidth usage because they were both using wlp2s0 instead of wlp2s0b1. Correcting the interface name in .conkyrc and the network applet settings fixed the problem.

Last edited by Olorin (2015-01-11 00:44:42)

Board footer