You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-22 22:50:26

whitetimer

New Nvidia Drivers

Hi All

Whats the correct method to install nvidia drivers directly downloaded from there website rather than installing from the repos ?

Cheers

#2 2015-01-22 22:54:23

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: New Nvidia Drivers

Read a PKGBUILD for one of the nvidia packages...

Not an installation issue, moving to NC.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-01-22 23:06:56

karol
Archivist

Why you don't want to use a PKGBUILD? Check if the PKGBUILD you want is in the AUR.

#4 2015-01-22 23:16:13

whitetimer

Ok cheers

#5 2015-01-23 01:58:10

Buddlespit

whitetimer wrote:

Hi All

Whats the correct method to install nvidia drivers directly downloaded from there website rather than installing from the repos ?

Cheers

What nobody is telling you is that downloading and installing the driver from NVIDIA will cause a mess of your filesystem, doesn't work any better than from Arch repos' and is a bitch to get out of your system if you decide to upgrade or uninstall.

If you're anything like me, you're going to install them anyway. Fire isn't hot until you stick your hand in it.

#6 2015-01-23 02:12:53

whitetimer

Buddlespit wrote:
whitetimer wrote:

Hi All

Cheers

What nobody is telling you is that downloading and installing the driver from NVIDIA will cause a mess of your filesystem, doesn't work any better than from Arch repos' and is a bitch to get out of your system if you decide to upgrade or uninstall.

If you're anything like me, you're going to install them anyway. Fire isn't hot until you stick your hand in it.

Yeah I like a challenge and was wanting to download from Geforce sight to install latest drivers.

#7 2015-01-23 09:48:48

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

No challenge. As suggested, adapt an existing PKGBUILD to the version.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#8 2015-01-23 12:10:43

Buddlespit

whitetimer wrote:
Buddlespit wrote:
whitetimer wrote:

Hi All

Cheers

Yeah I like a challenge and was wanting to download from Geforce sight to install latest drivers.

It's not a challenge, it's a train wreck. You will be so much better off using either the arch adjusted pkg or an adjusted PKBUILD. Unless you have a gtx960, you really aren't going to see anything new. Be patient, the new NVIDIA driver will hit testing soon and the official repos' soon after that.

#9 2015-01-23 17:38:54

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Buddlespit wrote:

It's not a challenge, it's a train wreck. You will be so much better off using either the arch adjusted pkg or an adjusted PKBUILD. Unless you have a gtx960, you really aren't going to see anything new. Be patient, the new NVIDIA driver will hit testing soon and the official repos' soon after that.

+1
Arch Linux = pacman/makepkg + philosophy + user control.

You are foolish not to use the first variable.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#10 2015-01-23 17:51:33

smirky
Website

Archlinux's official repo already has the latest NVIDIA blob driver. Currently, I don't see any beta drivers that have a higher version than the one in [extra]. If you want an up-to-date driver in the future when there really is one, you can either edit the PKGBUILD or just use nvidia-beta in the AUR.

Personal spot  ::  https://www.smirky.net/  ::  Try not to get lost!

#11 2015-01-23 22:48:24

Buddlespit

smirky wrote:

Archlinux's official repo already has the latest NVIDIA blob driver. Currently, I don't see any beta drivers that have a higher version than the one in [extra]. If you want an up-to-date driver in the future when there really is one, you can either edit the PKGBUILD or just use nvidia-beta in the AUR.

I don't know why I didn't look. The current driver is the driver released the day after the release of the gtx960. We already have the latest driver. smirky da man!

Board footer