You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-16 15:59:09

EAD

installd ARCH and have some questions

Hii I have installd ARCH 0.71 and have some questions.
first, I have done "pacman -S mozilla-fireox" and it says that it install everything, but still I can't find mozilla, I mean
When run mozilla-firefox it can't find the file.
and I have also installd OPERA and get this erorr
opera
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
I have installd JAVA by the way.
also
How can I moung all my HD and cd? for example drive C wich is my windows xp one?
and third, how do I add the alsa modules I need to start every time?
and How do I make my printer be avlabile?
and, How do I add hebrew support to KDE?
well I guess that all for now, sorry for asking too much:)

#2 2006-03-16 16:14:47

Sander

Re: installd ARCH and have some questions

First of all, please check your spelling before submitting something like this. I think I wouldn't be the only one who'd appreciate it.

EAD wrote:

first, I have done "pacman -S mozilla-fireox" and it says that it install everything, but still I can't find mozilla, I mean
When run mozilla-firefox it can't find the file.

Afaik, this means /opt/mozilla/bin is probably not in your PATH. I had some problems with /opt/***/bin stuff myself, so I added everything there to my path in /etc/profile, and I added "source /etc/profile" to my .xinitrc (I always boot into X).

How can I moung all my HD and cd? for example drive C wich is my windows xp one?

Google. Heck, you might even find it on the wiki.

and third, how do I add the alsa modules I need to start every time?

Wiki and wiki.

and How do I make my printer be avlabile?

Wiki.

and, How do I add hebrew support to KDE?

No idea, but it's probably on the wiki.

well I guess that all for now, sorry for asking too much:)

Always search the wiki wiki and google first before asking basic things like how to mount partitions. I suppose I've made my point quite clear wink

You like cheese? You like peas? You'll love cheezy peas!

#3 2006-03-16 16:18:09

elasticdog
Website

Well, I can tackle a couple of those...some of those topics should be covered in the Installation Guide or the Wiki, so be sure to poke around there.
* The command to get Firefox running is just <code>firefox</code> (which is somewhat counter-intuitive considering the package name has mozilla in there as well).

* The mounting of your drives is taken care of in the file <code>/etc/fstab</code> (read the wiki or Google 'fstab' for tons of info).  Mounting of a Windows XP partition on the drive might be tricky since they use NTFS as a filesystem.  At this point, I believe support for NTFS in Linux is read-only...someone with more experience mixing the two can probably jump in here.

* Making sure that modules load at startup will be configured in the file <code>/etc/rc.conf</code>, so read the ALSA page on the wiki and put what you need in the modules line of that file.
That's about all I know...good luck, and keep reading!  big_smile

#4 2006-03-16 16:20:30

EAD

Ok, mozilla almost aolved
still when runing it I get problem when trying to load www pages, I think it is something with my DNS.
How can I fix it up?
and why do I see many bad fonts on my KDE on the net?
even in this site when it loads at the top.
I have some fonts problems.

#5 2006-03-16 16:34:25

EAD

Ok, I have a problem with the network,
I used to have differnet network type config, unlike here, How Can I make my ADSL use a given DNS? and not assigend one auto?
I am using it as a dhcp

#6 2006-03-16 16:44:42

EAD

I also have problem with mount, it say it doesnt have mount points after I have added the win_c and so on, what to do?

#7 2006-03-16 22:25:24

EAD

It seem that I still have problems with screen, emacs refuse to load for example.
sad

#8 2006-03-17 04:51:14

syd

Most of the answers should already be on the forum.

The wiki should help you out with your network issues.

And ubuntu guide has info on mounting other partitions at boot. As well as other basic needs.
http://ubuntuguide.org/

Emacs eh, Try VI hehe

#9 2006-03-17 06:54:46

EAD

Tanx lol
I ave allready solved most of the problems, still got some...

#10 2006-03-17 15:02:01

jaboua

elasticdog wrote:

* The mounting of your drives is taken care of in the file <code>/etc/fstab</code> (read the wiki or Google 'fstab' for tons of info).  Mounting of a Windows XP partition on the drive might be tricky since they use NTFS as a filesystem.  At this point, I believe support for NTFS in Linux is read-only...someone with more experience mixing the two can probably jump in here.

NTFS have safe writing in linux atm, but you can only write files if you don't change the filesize afaik (!) and can't delete anything.

There is something called "Captive NTFS" though, which will let you use microsofts NTFS drivers to read/write NTFS from linux, but I've never tried it and can't help you. There is a guide on their site though if you google it up.

Board footer