You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-26 16:44:52

Zulfe

Not Recognizing USB Drives?

I'm trying to open a file on my USB drive, but I can't seem to get it to properly identify on my File Manager's sidebar. From what I've read on other posts, the sidebar is the Thunar sidebar, which I guess I have installed. I can mount the drive using 'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt' just fine, but I would really like for it to just show up and automatically mount whenever I plug a drive in. The system is in fact identifying another storage unit, as proven by my ability to mount it using the command line. I'm using XFCE, and in my 'Removable Drives and Media' settings I've activated:

[x] Mount removable drives when hot-plugged
[x] Mount removable media when inserted
[x] Browse removable media when inserted
[  ] Auto-run programs on new drives and media
[x] Auto-open files on new drives and media

In FIle Manager Settings -> Advanced -> Enable Volume Management is activated.

I have no idea how to fix this. Yes, I could stick to /mnt for my mounted files, but I'd really like to get it working.

#2 2015-01-26 16:52:34

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

#3 2015-01-26 18:48:03

Zulfe

Re: Not Recognizing USB Drives?

I already had all of the packages except the gcamera one. I rebooted and it works now, odd. I guess it was some setting that I had activated during my previous session that had not gone into affect until after the reboot. All in all, it works now. Thanks!

#4 2015-01-26 19:23:46

headkase

In your "/etc/fstab" entries specify a mount point that is within your home directory.  Make sure you have this empty directory in your home directory for the mount entry to populate.  This will make Thunar show it on the side.  Then in the mount options of the entry add "users" to whatever other options your would like.  "users" allows any user to mount and umount the mount point without a password.

#5 2015-01-26 19:27:09

headkase

Hmm, USB drive can complicate things however.  Instead of "/dev/sdb1" as the matching entry, you could try using a UUID if the device has those.  That would make for unique, and specific, mount points.

Board footer