You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-21 16:42:31

becho4

PC dead after going to sleep mode

Last summer I bought an intel Intel NUC D54250WYK PC to connect to my video projector at the living room. The PC is really nice because of the small form factor and low noise. Of course I installed Archlinux with KDE on its SSD drive.

Everything went fine for 1 month until one day that the PC didn't wake up from sleep mode. I knew it was in sleep mode because the power button led was blinking as usual. Since it didn't respond I decided to remove the power and connect it again for a hard reboot. Surprisingly the PC didn't respond anymore, it was completely dead. I couldn't even enter into the BIOS, just no noise, no video output, no response at all.

Last November, I got a new PC with a new power supply under warranty and used it normally going to sleep mode every day. After 15 days failed in the same way.

In January, I got a new PC under warranty and used it normally. After 1 day failed in the same way.

Of course as soon as I told to Intel customer support that I was using Archlinux they found the cause of the problem and recommended installing windows or Ubuntu.

I have searched in the forums and saw some reports of PCs not waking up from sleep mode but always booting after a hard reboot.
Have you ever had an Archlinux installation capable of destroying a PC just because of going to sleep? Do you think it makes sense to think that this could be related to the OS?

I just received a new fourth PC today under warranty. Is there any test or software/configuration change you would recommend?

Last edited by becho4 (2015-01-21 16:43:36)

#2 2015-01-21 20:07:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: PC dead after going to sleep mode

becho4 wrote:

Is there any test [...] you would recommend?

Install Windows or Ubuntu and see if that kills it too.

Was the device running hot under Arch?

#3 2015-01-22 09:34:49

GloW_on_dub

The OS cannot break the alimentation, it is just not possible.
The problem might come from your power socket, try using another in your house if possible.
Read this.

In that particular case, I would disable Sleep Mode altogether. Just power down your computer when not using it.

Last edited by GloW_on_dub (2015-01-22 09:36:27)

#4 2015-01-27 13:57:23

antonin

I had the same problem - twice. One year ago I bought Intel NUC D54250WYK. I hade 2 replacement till now. Every time I got new pc from my local distributor. After 5-6 months it went to sleep mode and was dead. I can't get it to switch on. No blue light on power button. No bios messages on monitor. Only network LED was flashing. I use Fedora Linux and I do not power it off. I only use sleep mode. I always update bios.

#5 2015-01-27 14:03:57

headkase

It is possible for software to damage hardware, although it is not common.  See: Killer Poke.  As long as they keep replacing the machine under warranty you could keep trying different OS'.  If they tell you along the lines of "this is your final machine" then I'd install Windows on it and call it done.

#6 2015-01-27 14:10:35

antonin

Sorry, but I don't want "different OS". :-)
It seems the same problem has Arch+Fedora+Ubuntu. Is it wrong Linux? In my opinion there is a problem with NUC. Maybe INTEL could fix this issue with new version of BIOS.

#7 2015-01-27 14:36:18

EscapedNull

Is it a possibility that the Intel NUC D54250WYK is prone to this? Seeing as how this happened five times to two different people under three different operating systems, I kind of doubt that it is a software problem.

It might be worth checking for a BIOS/microcode update, and contacting Intel's customer support (or community) about the issue.

#8 2015-01-27 14:51:19

antonin

Board footer