You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-27 18:08:28

Megameneer

Why is the syslinux-install_update script included in the Arch base

Hello everybody,

First of all, if it is not, then please tell me. My last install was from September 2014, and maybe there is now a different image that doesn't use the script anymore.

But if it is, then why? I think it doesn't fit within The Arch Way of letting the user face the real complexibility of the program without hiding it under "user-friendly" tools. But the syslinux-install_update script is made by Arch Linux and is designed to make things easier. But when I look at the chapter "Manual instal" on the Syslinux entry on the ArchWiki, then it is more work, but it made me really understand how the process of booting actually works. So why is the script included?

Dennis

#2 2015-01-27 18:13:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Why is the syslinux-install_update script included in the Arch base

Megameneer wrote:

First of all, if it is not, then please tell me.

It is not.

It is on the isos as the isos use syslinux.  The script is part of the syslinux package (which is not part of the base group).

As for why it is there, there is nothing masochistic about the arch way.  If you don't want to use the script, then don't.  But based on your logic, we also should not use an init system: you should just learn to mount partitions and start up your system yourself.  Why include an init system, it just hides all those inner workings.

Can I also assume that you were manually reading and writing bits to your network interface to post this message, or did you use a user friendly tool called a web-browser to help hide some of that complexity?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer