You are not logged in.

#51 2006-03-16 20:24:15

dogbait

Re: xgl - success stories?

I believe Shadowhand's packages use Mikos's PKGBUILDS so they should be the same.

There's been a lot of fixes the past few days in the XGL cvs:
http://cia.navi.cx/stats/author/davidr

New packages appear to be in Shadowhand's repos so give those a go.

#52 2006-03-16 21:11:17

shadowhand
Website

Just to clarify a few things:

- My packages are built from Mikos' pkgbuilds (with a little fixing).
- If you are having issues with running 'startxgl' by itself, take a look at 'startxgl --help'. For ATI, you would generally use: 'startxgl 0 gnome ati'. For nVIDIA: 'startxgl 0 gnome nvidia'. For other DRI enabled cards: 'startxgl 0 gnome other'.
- My packages were all rebuilt today with the new gcc/glibc that just went Current.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#53 2006-03-17 00:38:25

EmbraceThePenguin

Ok, I got it to work with KDE... There are some interesting issues though, but it works...

What I did was add a line in the startxgl file like so:

else
  msg "Starting gnome-window-decorator"
  DISPLAY=:$xgldisplay gnome-window-decorator &
  msg "Starting KDE---YEAH!!!!"
  DISPLAY=:$xgldisplay exec startkde &
fi

It works great, however:

1. It uses the Gnome Window Decor and not the KDE one.
2. I am limited to only ONE desktop (Unless I do the cube switch). There is only one visible desktop in the pager.)
3. I cant get my imwheel to work right (Not related to KDE, but still...)

Other than that, I get the same issues as everyone else with games and such...

I really like it... Not bad at all. Also, the desktop runs smooth as butter... No issues at all with performance...

Joe

#54 2006-03-17 00:44:06

EmbraceThePenguin

Ok, there are some other issues...

When I minimize an app, its gone... Its still running, but I cant get it back. Also, when I exit KDE, its hangs and I have to ssh in and killall Xgl.

Any ideas?

Joe

#55 2006-03-17 00:53:53

EmbraceThePenguin

Another neat thing I found that is not noted anywhere I could see is if you hold down your ctrl+alt and use your mouse wheel, you can adjust translucency...

Cool eh???

Joe

#56 2006-03-17 07:24:50

EmbraceThePenguin

EmbraceThePenguin wrote:

Ok, there are some other issues...

When I minimize an app, its gone... Its still running, but I cant get it back. Also, when I exit KDE, its hangs and I have to ssh in and killall Xgl.

Any ideas?

Joe

HEHEHE... Sorry for replying to my own post, but I figured out how to get my apps to show in the task bar (With a little help from the Gentoo folks.)

What you have to do is set the Show apps on all windows in the task bar settings... However, you MUST do this in a normal X session; otherwise you wont see the option...

Enjoy...

Joe

#57 2006-03-17 17:30:23

aaronamd

I have it working in xfce4 on an  amd FX-55 cpu with an nvidia fx-5900XT video card, now I'm just curious as to how to take a video of this thing tongue is there a way to make it work with SLiM ?

#58 2006-03-18 06:41:22

mtrivs

After upgrading from shadowhand's repo, i am unable to start XGL, does anyone else have this problem?

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

#59 2006-03-18 12:45:49

josolanes

mtrivs wrote:

After upgrading from shadowhand's repo, i am unable to start XGL, does anyone else have this problem?

using shadowhand's repo too and no problems here....hope you find a solution to it smile

System Specs: Arch 0.7.1 (Noodle); Kernel=2.6.15-ARCH; Gnome; xorg-7.0 (w/3D!!)--Xgl wink; Dual Athlon MP 1800+; Asus A7M266-D mobo; 40GB (ATA 133); Audigy 2 Platinum; Radeon 9800 Pro (3D included big_smile)
Registered Linux user number 395691

#60 2006-03-18 15:49:57

Jefg60

I just tried it using shadowhands repo. I just get an hourglass that I can move (at the correct resolution) and nothing else. sad Think I may wait a while while people cleverer than me iron out the bugs tongue

#61 2006-03-19 09:29:07

flying_icarus

Hi all!

I got shadowhands packages to work easily (thanx shadowhand!), but only when started from a text console (or within an allready running X session). When I try to fix kdm's startup files to run Xgl instead of X, it just sits on the aforementioned black screen with hour cursor.

First time when started from a text console, I thought it didn't work, as it took almost a minute to go beyond the black screen with hour cursor. smile

Anyways, when started up to work, it's really great stuff, and I find myself compelled to move program windows arround even when they're where they should be... just to se the wobble. smile

EDIT:
Ahh, using Radeon 9800 pro flashed to XT and ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 MBO with ALI chipset.

#62 2006-03-19 14:26:33

Jefg60

hmm, I was starting from a text console. perhaps I didnt wait long enough...

#63 2006-03-19 14:56:49

flying_icarus

Well, a minute or two should be enough... YMMV, of course... In my case starting up from within a running X session with KDE produced immediate results. So at least from that I got the impression that it should somehow work. (The results were a 640x480 window with "contents" of a new gnome desktop enviroment of the same user).

Also, when starting from text console, the right combination of arguments for me seems to be the following:

startxgl 1 gnome ati

It seems that the X server underlying Xgl must run on display 0, and therefore xgl cannot use 0, and that is the case both when running from console and allready running X session.

One other thing, which is I noticed with some other posts, is that gnome doesn't fully start up... same here, but it does give me access to menus, to run apps.

In my case, xfce4 doesnt start at all (no mather Xgl or plain X), so I ended up using KDE (which I regularly use) to test Xgl, by copying the /usr/bin/startxgl script to my home and editing it to 'startkde' instead of 'gnome-session'.

Anyway, although very fun to use, it still fails to work for me when started with the login manager (kdm) and fails to shutdown when kde exits. Also the KDE taskbar problem applies, and in some (random) cases, switching to text console and back to X(Xgl) causes the whole system to freeze (with monitor shutting down), so I wouldn't reccomend it for daily use yet.

The speed of effects and the general idea is marvelous though, so I can't wait for more polished releases (and better integration with other dekstop eviroments/window managers).

Hope this helps. smile

#64 2006-03-19 15:09:36

Jefg60

Hey, it works! "startxgl 0 gnome ati" worked for me. although my keyboard map seems wrong again now sad also my xmodmap doesnt seem to have taken effect.

Also when I start a new window, I get a yellow box drawn very slowly that gets bigger and bigger, then the window appears.

#65 2006-03-19 15:10:24

Jefg60

p.s. I hadnt installed compiz :oops: which won't have been helping. perhaps it should be a dependency of the xgl-cvs package, shadowhand?

#66 2006-03-19 19:05:05

Spider.007

After ironing out some problems (I've put them all in the wiki) XGL runs kind of ok now. The only problem still have is that creating the alt-tab window switcher takes forever on my desktop (like 10 seconds or so). Also; the linenumbers of my Zend-IDE seem to get messy? XGL looks so very nice though; it's worth it!

#67 2006-03-19 19:49:13

big_gie

Hi all,

I've put the highligths of this thread in the Xgl wiki section. That way its easier to pass thrue user experiences.

#68 2006-03-20 06:27:38

rpgcyco

XGL working perfectly here. Installed from Shadowhand's repo, started using:

startxgl 1 xfce-svn nvidia

- Rpg Cyco

#69 2006-03-26 23:15:41

xtrailz
Website

Hi all,

Got XGL working from the console with Gnome ( thanks shadowhand - great work!) but there are a few glitches.

It takes maybe 40-50 seconds after starting for the Gnome background to appear, in the meantime only one screen is available ie. no cube. After the wallpaper appears then it's possible to use the cube. Everything works fine after that - opacity, cube,scale etc.   But on exiting Gnome the reverse happens, the GUI remains until i do Ctrl-Alt-BkSpace to shut down the Xserver.

Might be something to do with the order of things in 'startxgl'

Well done everyone who contributed to getting this running on Arch. I had set aside the afternoon to get this working but literally had it going 20 minutes after reading the wiki and forum posts, and of course, shadowhand's repo.

Athlon XP 2700+
Nvidia 5700LE

#70 2006-03-27 16:30:31

fredp

Hi
I installed Shadowhand's packages and I get Xgl running quite well with opensource DRI drivers for my Ati Radeon 9000, but it doesn't run very smooth and often it leaves some wrong pixels on the screen.
So, looking for better performances, I tried using the fglrx drivers, but what I get is something like this: http://impurity.org/~stalyn/fuxed.png
On gentoo wiki it says "no known solution", in here?

#71 2006-03-27 21:18:35

Gullible Jones

Ugh, that's exactly what things looked like when I failed to get DRI working with ProSavage! Ugh, found the solution on dangray.org but that's defunct now, just a sec...

Ah, IIRC the solution to that lay in the IgnoreEDID option in the "Screen" section, "Display" subsection... Setting it to either true or false would rectify the situation, but leaving it unset would screw up the screen. Uh, maybe try something like this:

Section "Screen"
        [blah]
        SubSection "Display"
                [blah]
                Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
                [blah]
        EndSubSection
EndSection

"Blah" being whatever else you happen to have in there. If that doesn't work, try setting it to true, and if that doesn't work... Well, I never said this would definitely work. :?

#72 2006-03-28 05:16:54

syd

Apart from not working in root (even tho direct rendering works as user) its great.

Thanks ShadowHand. Yet another reason why your repo is the best.

However i think that ill be staying with pekwm.

Eat XGL eyecandy macOS. 8)

#73 2006-03-29 13:30:17

fredp

Gullible Jones wrote:

Ugh, that's exactly what things looked like when I failed to get DRI working with ProSavage! Ugh, found the solution on dangray.org but that's defunct now, just a sec...

Ah, IIRC the solution to that lay in the IgnoreEDID option in the "Screen" section, "Display" subsection... Setting it to either true or false would rectify the situation, but leaving it unset would screw up the screen. Uh, maybe try something like this:

Section "Screen"
        [blah]
        SubSection "Display"
                [blah]
                [blah]
        EndSubSection
EndSection

"Blah" being whatever else you happen to have in there. If that doesn't work, try setting it to true, and if that doesn't work... Well, I never said this would definitely work. :?

Great, it worked big_smile
Thank you very much

#74 2006-03-29 18:31:55

fedaykin

I have XGL working with this system:
Athlon 64 3200+
Geforce 6800 OC 128mb
1gb of RAM (corsair xms something or other)

I use the nvidia driver from Current and I installed XGL using shadowhand's repo (thanks for that).  The only problems I have are that AA doesn't work (menus flicker when opened), the XFCE pager is broken as many of you said, and it uses the gnome decorator instead of XFCE's.  Overall it's very nice and fun to look at and play with tongue

#75 2006-03-29 21:05:27

Gullible Jones

fredp wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:

Section "Screen"
        [blah]
        SubSection "Display"
                [blah]
                [blah]
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Great, it worked big_smile
Thank you very much

You're very welcome, and thanks for confirming this.

Board footer