You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-28 17:12:42

2fat

Trying to build a system that limits the user to one program.

I work in a tinkering space for a children's museum in the United States, in this space we have a different project every month.  I've been working on a month during which we would focus on programming logic.  This will encompass real world examples of programming logic through a number of different exhibits we're developing as well as give the kids access to a computer to reinforce the logic they've learned in the other exhibits.  In high school I was introduced to Alice, and I think it's a wonderful tool that guides kids into programming without making them trip over syntax errors.

My goal is to have a couple of Linux stations set up for the older kids to tinker with Alice, however I don't want them to be able to access any other programs, or to easily close out of the program.  I would also like to let them save files they've worked on to a flash drive, but that would be done with my help.  Also, once the computers are set up, they won't have internet access (the desktops that were donated to us don't have WiFi access).

I have a reasonable amount of experience with Linux but this is something I've never done before, so I'm looking for guidance and suggestions.  What programs and utilities should I look at to begin accomplishing this?  Is there a specific window manager that would be best for this (my default choice is Openbox unless a better alternative exists for what I'm trying to do)?  I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Many thanks!

#2 2015-01-28 17:15:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Trying to build a system that limits the user to one program.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cr … Kiosk_User

Not a Sysadmin issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-01-28 17:25:31

2fat

Re: Trying to build a system that limits the user to one program.

jasonwryan wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cr … Kiosk_User

Not a Sysadmin issue, moving to NC...

My apologies, I wasn't sure where to put it and made my best judgement.

Thanks for the link!  I didn't really know where to start looking.

Board footer