You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-13 16:19:50

arch-fan

Will Arch Linux work for me ?

Greetings to everyone !

I want to try Arch Linux as i have been reading about it a lot this week.But I have this problem ( I will explain later) and hope that it can be resolved with Arch. I just want everobody opinion.
My impression is that with a distribution like Arch it is difficult to get answers because it's users are average in Linux and it is normall to get bored by novice questions like me . :oops:

I am on dial up and in my country it is kinf of 1 us$ per hour. But I think I can find the basic iso from a friend of mine if I beg him.
I have a pentium 3 and i don't want to "throw"  cause I mainly use it for chat ,surfing and email at home. I also want to learn Linux as I have found using slackware really fun.

Can Arch become my distro of I get the packages downloaded from an internet caffe and then spend little time finding its dependencies through dial up?

How diffierent is the Arch philosofy againts Slackware philosofy? Any speed difference?

Sorry to bother anyone with this kind of questions and hope to join this forum longer.

Bless u

#2 2004-02-13 16:37:25

robot5x

Re: Will Arch Linux work for me ?

arch-fan wrote:

My impression is that with a distribution like Arch it is difficult to get answers because it's users are average in Linux and it is normall to get bored by novice questions like me . :oops:

Not at all - generally most normal questions are already being answered in the forums - if you take the time to look around, you will generally find the answer you need. If you make the effort to look around, and just have a go yourself, my experience is that people are very helpful.

arch-fan wrote:

Can Arch become my distro of I get the packages downloaded from an internet caffe and then spend little time finding its dependencies through dial up?

Have to admit, I'd be lost without cable:) But I'm sure other people are using dial-up.

#3 2004-02-13 16:42:55

sarah31
Website

i will answer any question i feel i can ... and i am never afraid to state my biased curmudgeony opinions.

you can use arch without using your internet connection you just need another computer that you can download and burn the packages with on a regular basis and then use that disc to create your own repository.

the problem comes though that you will have to at least connect to the internet to have a current abs directory. current to the packages you have.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-02-13 18:55:36

contrasutra

Well, I run fine with dialup, but I do have to do overnight downloading sometimes to keep up.

If you get charged by the hour, I would recommend you get a distro that tries to get a really stable ISO release, and buy that, and just run that until the next version comes out.

To really take advantage of Arch, you have to keep up with -Current using pacman, and with an hourly fee, that's going to cost you a lot of money.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2004-02-14 23:27:54

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sarah31 wrote:

i will answer any question i feel i can ... and i am never afraid to state my biased curmudgeony opinions.

Same here... well sometimes I'm afraid if I think sarah31 will disagree... :-D

I've used arch for about a month, and only JUST finished setting it up, mostly because of dialup. I get 180 hours per month and had to ration.

You CAN download the files on a high speed link and copy them to your drive, but it's not exactly trivial (not hard either).  It could be hard to resolve dependencies this way unless you're downloading onto a pacman-enabled computer.

I would also suggest using a stable ISO distro that has up to date packages if you pay by the hour. I'm only using Arch on dialup now because I'm expecting to get DSL or cable in a few months, when life will be easy....

Dusty

#6 2004-02-17 05:08:40

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

arch-fan wrote:

I am on dial up and in my country it is kinf of 1 us$ per hour.

Here is an alternative way to install the native Arch Linux. Read topic "Live CD for newbies and dial up users":
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=2664

Markku

Board footer