You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-17 21:17:19

jakob

(Hiero)Glyphs with powerline in tmux under urxvt

Heya,

this has really made me feel really dumb. After using vim-powerline for quite some time, I wanted to get tmux-powerline, too, und thus upgraded to python2-powerline-git.

Changing over in vim worked out nicely, deleting vim-powerline from my vundle config and ~/.vim/bundle were enough, powerline still works in vim.

However, not so with tmux. Also after restarting X and including the line to source /usr/share/tmux/powerline.conf, I still get glyphs like this: aSxwyHk.png

I also patched my fonts (actually, re-did that with the new font-patcher), re-ran fc-cache (-vf) and checked my ~/.Xresources (full file see link, here only the relevant part):

URxvt*font:             xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for Powerline:pixelsize=14:antialias=true,\
                        xft:DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline:pixelsize=14:antialias=true

The /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-powerline.conf is linked to /etc/fonts/conf.d/ alright and PowerlineSymbols.otf is in /usr/share/fonts/OTF and visible for instance in LibreOffice. But still, I see only glyphs.

I also tried out the method outlined here and set my URxvt*font to:

URxvt*font:             xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for Powerline:pixelsize=14:antialias=true,\
                        xft:DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline:pixelsize=14:antialias=true,\
                        xft:PowerlineSymbols:pixelsize=14:antialias=true

to no avail.

Interestingly, when I press Ctrl-Shift and click on one of the glyphs, urxvt shows (in the case of the rightmost seen above next to the time) the hexcode 231a and claims it's displayed in "built-in support font": PU9rZpe.png

Whereas, with any other letter, it would say "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for Powerline" or when a glyph is missing "DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline". So somehow, urxvt doesn't seem to get to use PowerlineSymbols.

I'm using the latest version from the community repo (9.18-2), tmux is version 1.8-1 and python2-powerline-git has just been built tonight. I'm close to desperation.

Where could the problem be?

Thanks for any help and for reading until here!

Best, Jakob

Last edited by jakob (2013-04-17 21:21:00)

#2 2013-04-19 09:52:29

jakob

Re: (Hiero)Glyphs with powerline in tmux under urxvt

Alright, although I think that this should work somehow (urxvt supports patched fonts and is compiled with --enable-unicode3), maybe that's wrong

Finally, I switched to xfce4-terminal which is half as big when it comes to the package, seems less complicated than urxvt and also has better font support. A bit sad since I've been using urxvt since my start with Linux in 2005, but that's how things go…

Here's a screenshot with solarized xfce4-terminal theme and tmux/vim-powerline:
ECYJ5fD.png

Best wishes,

Jakob

edit: there has ben another issue opened in powerlines bugtracker with the same problem as described here, and it seems people solved the problem. Hopefully it's of any use for the urxvt users

Last edited by jakob (2013-04-23 08:25:29)

#3 2015-01-29 18:38:53

azb

jakob, (or others for that matter) have you found a solution to this involving urxvt?
Have searched the net and most relevant topic seemed to be this and this, but nothing helps. My issue is also more similar to the latter link, as in the glyphs are displayed partially. The arrows, uptime glyph, almost everything in vim powerline are ok. But for instance the clock symbol for tmux is rendered incorrectly. As was with jakob, urxvt reports it as "built-in support font" on C-S-click. Some fonts are reported as "DejaVu Sans Mono" (without the 'for Powerline'). Also tried all sorts of different fonts.
Best to ditch urxvt?

#4 2015-01-29 19:48:34

jakob

I'm sorry to say that no, I'm still happy on xfce4-terminal, however I ditched powerline in favour of airline. But that probably wouldn't make the difference on your side as it usese powerline fonts, too.

#5 2015-01-30 10:02:02

azb

That's too bad.
Actually nope, I'm also using vim-airline, and there's everything ok. I only need the powerline for tmux. Probably will lose the glyph icons or switch terminals.
Btw, have you found any good color schemes for the xfce4-term? There's not aweful lot of resources floating around that terminal.

#6 2015-01-30 12:19:51

jakob

I keep mine on github. It's a modification of some solarized theme I found somewhre… presumably in the solarized repo on gihub.

Board footer