You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-17 04:30:07

joshuaheretic

Hardware Recommendations

I hope this is the right forum to post this...

I'm planning on putting together a small server to colocate for my own personal use. It would run lighttpd w/ fastcgi and ruby on rails for my own personal webpage, as well as postfix and jabber. Possibly subversion as well. It is critical that it is small (preferably microATX) and that it is speedy enough to handle those few processes under light to moderate load. Small and speedy is the idea. But I have no idea what cheap hardware would be sufficient, having never constructed a webserver myself before. Maybe a Pentium 3, with 512mb of RAM? I dunno...

So I'm seeking advice from the astute denizens of this forum. If anyone has any recommendations for any hardware, including processors, memory, motherboards, cases, etc. that they think would work well in a small, light, and fast Arch server, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joshua Heretic

#2 2006-03-17 10:10:34

FUBAR
Website

Re: Hardware Recommendations

If you are going to colocate, shouldn't your server be a 19" model? Isn't micro ATX meant for barebonecases?

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2006-03-17 19:51:30

joshuaheretic

It's not through a formal colocation service. I work with the tech group at the local IMC, and after we get the internet setup at the new building, I'm going to see if I can put a box in there. We don't have any racks or anything, I just want it to be small, cool-running, and cost them as little electricity as possible.

#4 2006-03-17 23:52:27

twpvw5

Bare bones motherboards are usually smaller than uATX.

-The more engineering courses I take, the more I lose my heart for engineering. I just want to F*@%ing build stuff!

Board footer