You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-01 20:37:43

randallstevens370

[solved] startx fails, shell stops showing input text

NB: this is my first post on the forum, if I've done something wrong or not given enough information, please let me know, and I apologize in advance!

After installing Arch on my laptop (and loving it!) about a month ago, I am migrating my desktop as well. I have gone through the install guide, and (relating to X11) have installed xorg-server, xorg-xinit, xorg-server-utils, mesa, xorg-twm, xorg-xclock, xterm, and xf86-video-ati (I have two ATI graphics cards installed).

When I run startx, there are 3 windows and a clock, similar to what I remember from the first time I did this. However, when I exit, (I did this by typing exit into the shells on screen) I return to the basic shell prompt, but it seems that no newlines are being printed, and nothing I type appears either. I can still run commands (i.e. 'sudo reboot now' prompts for password and reboots the computer when entered correctly) but I can't see what I type at all (not just in the password prompt). Pressing just enters reprints the shell prompt one space after the previous prompt. Typing exit and logging in again resolves the problem, as does rebooting.

Xorg.0.log

Xorg.1.log

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: startx was failing due to locale issues that were my fault. The issue with the shell behaving strangely after Xorg terminates remains.

Last edited by randallstevens370 (2015-02-01 23:05:27)

#2 2015-02-01 21:23:26

karol
Archivist

Re: [solved] startx fails, shell stops showing input text

#3 2015-02-01 23:02:58

randallstevens370

I couldn't get Trilby's solution to work, so I just alias'ed start to 'startx;reset'

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#4 2015-02-02 00:15:07

jedijimi

randallstevens370 wrote:

When I run startx, there are 3 windows and a clock, similar to what I remember from the first time I did this. However, when I exit, (I did this by typing exit into the shells on screen

I'm thinking you were still 'root user'.

randallstevens370 wrote:

I couldn't get Trilby's solution to work, so I just alias'ed start to 'startx;reset'

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm not sure that adding an alias should be the solution. Your 'pastebin' links lead me to blank page.

*edit. You should use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

Last edited by jedijimi (2015-02-02 00:21:24)

Crude matter we are not, Luminous beings we are

Board footer