You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-02 15:12:06

jedijimi

Xfce menu

Is there a way to get two entries of geany in the XFCE-menu? One entry for 'non-root user', and one for 'root user'. I've been combing the web, found how to move the entry around in the menu, but not one for the dual entries.

*edit.  This is geany.desktop

Exec=geany %F
Icon=geany
Terminal=false
Categories=GTK;Development;IDE
#Categories=X-XFCE;X-Xfce-Toplevel
MimeType=
StartupNotify=true

If I made another geany.desktop and changed the 'Exec=geany %F'  to 'Exec=geany (something)' and uncomment the 'Categories top-level' would that do?

*edit 2  I am following this from the start. https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

Last edited by jedijimi (2015-02-02 15:20:49)

Crude matter we are not, Luminous beings we are

#2 2015-02-02 15:43:20

toz

Re: Xfce menu

Yes. Create another menu entry (change the name parameter of the .desktop file so you can tell the difference between the two). However, if you want it to run with root priviliges you'll need to start it with a graphical tool like gksudo or pkexec or some other method which will allow you to enter a password. (or if you are using sudo, you can configure it to not prompt you for a password).

The "X-Xfce-Toplevel" parameter indicates to place the menu item on the toplevel (not in a submenu) of the Xfce menu. Its your preference where you want the menu item to appear.

Board footer