You are not logged in.

#26 2015-02-01 16:17:54

Awebb

Re: Non opensource in official repo's..?

I sometimes make install to /usr/local, but only in the rare occasion, when I don't understand something in the build process and my attempts to create a PKGBUILD is somehow obstructed.

#27 2015-02-03 01:32:18

EscapedNull

Re: Non opensource in official repo's..?

Trilby wrote:
EscapedNull wrote:

And don't forget the good old `make install` either, if that's what you want.

While I completely agree with the rest of your post, I'd differ on this last point.  You should forget the old `make install` unless you put it into a PKGBUILD.  Manually using `make install` will effectively break the package management system which is one of arch's greatest strengths.  One could of course use make install provided the makefile allows for a separate install location (maybe /opt, but preferrably ~/somedir), but if `make install` will work, then a PKGBUILD would be so trivially easy that it would be really silly not to use one properly.

I wasn't saying I use it, I was just saying that it's a possibility. I'm a little OCD about having files outside of /home that don't belong to a package. And as you said, a PKGBUILD is worth the extra minute or two it would take to write one. Basically I just threw that one in for the Unix Greybeards.

Board footer