You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-01 08:09:20

rollypolio

I/O errors on sda, grub fails

Receiving I/O error for sda. Grub is also failing. From previous Linux Mint console on sdb1, lsblk showed sda1 and sda2.  From new arch installation on sdb1, only sda.

#parted /dev/sda

gives

Warning: Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/output error

#mklabel msdos

gives

Error: Input/output error during read on /dev/sda

in interactive mode.  Tried

#dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda

A blinking cursor ensued overnight.

super-grub-disk told me to

#sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sdb1" dpkg --configure -a
#sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sdb1" pacman -R --noconfirm grub*-common

with
chroot: failed to get attributes of ‘/mnt/boot-sav/sdb1’: No such file or directory
chroot: failed to get attributes of ‘/mnt/boot-sav/sdb1’: No such file or directory

respectively.  Could this be on account of an encypted home folder on the other drive, which no longer exists?  I had sybolically linked (lunk?) folders from the now scrambled hard drive to a now non-existent Linux Mint distro.

#2 2015-02-04 10:20:22

soldier1184

Re: I/O errors on sda, grub fails

check your bios an c which HDD is on sdX or sdb etc an switch the boot priorities an that should fix your boot grub issue reason it does that is because the bios does not see anything linux related it see's only the dependent hardware that's it so check to see what ch ( channel ) your BIOS has your HDD set to if it's set for example sdX < grub loaded onto this harddrive ....an your bios reads

-WD120gb channel 1
-WD500gb channel 2 etc etc an you install it to your 120GB HD then you actually need to move that down an make your channel 2 on top an channel 1 so in lamens terms CHANGE YOUR BOOT HARD DRIVE ORDER an as far as you (junk?) comment yeah it's fucked up because your moving non encrypted data onto encrypted you can't go vice versa or else things get torn apart in the hardware / firmware line of file structure due to encryption smile hope this helps

Board footer