You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-02 06:09:50

dodo3773

[SOLVED] chrome / chromium high gpu usage leads to overheating laptop

My laptop overheated a few times recently due to high gpu temperature. Tried different drivers (nouveau and nvidia) and kernel and that didn't help. So, today when it started heating up I went through the options in chrome:/flags in chromium to disable all gpu accelerated options I could find (hardware acceleration was already disabled). Then I noticed in the task manager that the gpu process was still there (also it was still getting hot). So, I went through all the switches for chromium and started it like this:

chromium --diable-gpu --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --disable-accelerated-jpeg-decoding --disable-accelerated-video-decode --disable-gpu-compositing --disable-gpu-program-cache --disable-gpu-rasterization --disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache --disable-gpu-vsync --disable-one-copy --disable-threaded-compositing --disable-threaded-animation

and now the cpu heats up a little but that is throttled through thermald so no big deal there. No gpu process anymore in the built in task manager for chromium.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any different ideas? Is there a way to throttle gpu based on temperature for nvidia cards? I have some new thermal paste coming and got some compressed air to clean out my machine and then reapply the paste (probably needed to be done anyways). Just curious if anyone else had any alternate thoughts or if maybe it was just a couple things I could disable in chromium instead of everything. I noticed it heats up a lot when viewing long pages with lots of images especially.

Edit: The card is a Nvidia GTX560M. I just tried nouveau and messing around with some variables for temperature threshold in /sys/ but it didn't seem to help (I don't think my gpu fan is that compatible anyways).

Update: The only option needed to get rid of GPU Process tab is  "--disable-gpu-compositing"

Last edited by dodo3773 (2015-02-13 19:49:39)

#2 2015-02-04 10:11:43

soldier1184

Re: [SOLVED] chrome / chromium high gpu usage leads to overheating laptop

your card is highly compatible ( mine is a GTX260 ) an currently on the nvidia 340.76 driver an i have it set graphically an with widgets to set or unset the GPU / CPU load with thermald so go into your settings for thermal an cpufreq settings an there will be a file (s) to change ( BACK UP FILES FIRST ) an search on the wiki or google for a GPU control program to help with the throttling post back an let me know smile

#3 2015-02-04 21:25:44

dodo3773

Re: [SOLVED] chrome / chromium high gpu usage leads to overheating laptop

soldier1184 wrote:

your card is highly compatible ( mine is a GTX260 ) an currently on the nvidia 340.76 driver an i have it set graphically an with widgets to set or unset the GPU / CPU load with thermald so go into your settings for thermal an cpufreq settings an there will be a file (s) to change ( BACK UP FILES FIRST ) an search on the wiki or google for a GPU control program to help with the throttling post back an let me know smile

I do not entirely understand your post. I have looked into throttling gpu. I think in order to underclock and manipulate these settings coolbits needs to be set to 8 is what I am reading. Will post back when I find out more.

Edit: Enabled coolbits and tried changing clock speed but when I hit enter screen just blacked out. Guess I'll just leave gpu off for chromium.

Edit: Cleaned out computer and replaced thermal paste and no more heat issues.

Last edited by dodo3773 (2015-02-13 19:49:16)

Board footer