You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-08 03:16:01

RiShooty

[SOLVED]Customize localmodconfig?

Hi there, I'm loving arch so far and I've learned more from it than any of my previous experience with linux.

One thing I was encouraged to do is build a custom kernel, and after a lot of fumbling around I did get a decent one working. But I notice you basically have two choices:
1. Copy Arch's default .config and go through the painfully tedious process of control-f 'ing what obviously doesn't apply to you, and skimming through nconfig.
2. Running make localmodconfig and have an almost minimal setup, with essentially no peripheral or usb support aside from what's plugged in.

In my opinion, I feel limiting the ability of a ps/2, parallel, or usb port somewhat defeats their purpose of giving you the possibility to use your computer for anything when you need it. Internals are rarely changed, and when they are you should change your kernel anyway. USB however, is called Universal Serial Bus for a reason. Not only-two-things-work serial bus.

The Question: Is there a way to edit the way localmodconfig works, add exceptions of what not to remove, anything? I've googled/wiki'd it like crazy and found nothing. Found nothing in the kernel makefile or folder either.
The goal: My idea of an ideal kernel is one with everything internal related disabled except for what you need, and everything external completely functional/default, even if its dumb like amateur radio support or drawing tablet drivers. I also feel this would be a much better tool for beginners.

Last edited by RiShooty (2015-02-08 04:34:41)

#2 2015-02-08 03:51:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Customize localmodconfig?

Start with streamline_config.pl or https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/modprobed-db

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-02-08 04:24:28

RiShooty

Ahh, while streamline_config.pl has led me to nothing, modeprobed-db shows promise. At first I thought all it did was snapshot modules over time in locked intervals, but I didn't know the snapshots were optional and it was nothing more than a text file. So I'm thinking dumping all of the USB related module names into the text file, calling it, and then using localmodconfig should work in theory? I'll have to try it.

Last edited by RiShooty (2015-02-08 04:28:50)

#4 2015-02-08 04:28:21

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That's how it works, essentially. Whether you manually populate the db, or use modprobed-db to dump loaded modules is up to you.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2015-02-08 04:33:41

RiShooty

Thanks alot. Guess I'll mark it as closed then. Kinda misleading given its mostly used for automatic dumping of modules over a week or two, isn't exactly clear that it could also be used manually.

Board footer