You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-11 15:52:05

sapnesh

changed permissions of /var, /usr . Now cant' login as normal user.

I installed Android-studio along with its requirements a few days ago and I was having access problems as the studio said it couldn't read the files from its folder in ~/android and /var.
so I changed the permissions of the both dirs and all their contents to be accessed by all using dolphin as root.( group and others).
After the restart kde-plasma gave a error when I tried to launch the studio, saying KDEInit cannot open /usr/lib and other files.
So I did the same to /usr and all its contents.
Now,
→ I cant log in as my normal user. Even if I do using CLI I cant start X server. I'm getting a D-bus related error.
→ Can't run sudo using normal user( owner uid must be set 0 error)
→ logged in as root, running chown root:root /usr/bin/sudo && chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo did not work.
I don't want to re-install because I have setup arch and everything with so much care.
Please help!!

Last edited by sapnesh (2015-02-11 15:55:34)

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

#2 2015-02-11 23:39:06

cfr

Re: changed permissions of /var, /usr . Now cant' login as normal user.

Restore from the backup you made before doing things like changing permissions for system directories?

By 'access', I take it you do not merely mean that you made things world readable, but that you also made them world-writable? What exactly did you change the permissions to? [I use KDE but I only ever open Dolphin these days by accident, and I've never set permissions using it.]

You can reinstall packages without wiping your system. For directories, if the permissions differ, pacman will tell you. (In some cases, the permissions may also get automatically corrected, though I'm not sure about this.)

Personally, though, I would reinstall. It will be quicker than checking every single thing. And you need to check everything because, apart from breaking stuff, you have opened your system to security vulnerabilities.

You can save much of your configuration work if you backup /etc and create a list of installed packages before reinstalling.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer