You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-09 14:59:13

ceribro

[SOLVED]first booted into grub>

hello everyone,
this is my first time installation of arch,and it seems that i made too may errors already.
here's is what i did and what went wrong.following beginner's guide i did changed layout to dvorak,made two partions,one primary ext4 and one 2GB extended linux swap,made swapon,mounted primary partition,DIDN'T made home and boot directory thought it was okay,next i ran pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel.BUT CHOOSE ONLY pacman from base and all from base-devel,thought they can be installed later chrooted my system changed root password.showed lazyness didn't configured timezone keymap,installed nano,dialog,wpa_something. then installed grub. ran the command.
grub-install --target=i386-pc -- recheck /dev/sda
got error more than one device to install some thing something
again ran
grub-install --target=i386-pc -- /dev/sda
installed with no error
ran the first command again got the same error (actually was leaving a space before "recheck" figured later)
ran the command
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (just ran this command and didn't do any other thing if i was supposed to do)
exited
rebooted
and prompted to
grub>
what went wrong? .... sorry for bad english.   sorry if i posted in the wrong section

Last edited by ceribro (2015-02-19 15:52:48)

#2 2015-02-09 15:09:36

clfarron4
Website

Re: [SOLVED]first booted into grub>

ceribro wrote:

i did changed layout to dvorak,made two partions,one primary ext4 and one 2GB extended linux swap,made swapon,mounted primary partition,DIDN'T made home and boot directory thought it was okay

Sounds reasonable

ceribro wrote:

next i ran pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel.BUT CHOOSE ONLY pacman from base and all from base-devel,thought they can be installed later

Any particular reason why you just installed pacman from base? There'll be a good reason why [base] contains what it contains.

ceribro wrote:

chrooted my system changed root password.showed lazyness didn't configured timezone keymap,installed nano,dialog,wpa_something.

You know that you should configure all of these as you did when you initially did for the installation ISO? If you don't, then you'll be in the en-US and US QWERTY etc.

Did you generate an fstab file? What are the contents of it?

ceribro wrote:

then installed grub. ran the command.
grub-install --target=i386-pc -- recheck /dev/sda
got error more than one device to install some thing something
again ran
grub-install --target=i386-pc -- /dev/sda
installed with no error
ran the first command again got the same error (actually was leaving a space before "recheck" figured later)
exited
rebooted
and prompted to
grub>
.... sorry for bad english.

What are the contents of the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file?

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2015-02-09 15:40:13

ceribro

okay i chose pacman to just part my data as i am limited to 200 MB per day,also when i was installing grub few packages listed in base were getting installed i think they are going to installed either way
yes i genrated fstab.
it says,
#/dev/sdb1
UUID=somthing                                   /                ext4                rw,relatime,data=ordered              0 1

#/dev/sdb5                                        none            swap                     default                                      0 0
nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg is a 119 lines file tell me which part to check or should i type the whole???

#4 2015-02-09 15:46:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you are worried about download limits, you should install base but not base-devel.  Without base, there is a fair chance you will not have a functional system.  Base-devel is only needed for using the AUR, but it is quite easy to get a working system without anything from base-devel.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2015-02-09 15:53:17

ceribro

okay so i have again booted live arch and monted and chrooted the installed arch(the same i am talking about, giving error).can i install the base now? will it do any good?

#6 2015-02-10 08:14:50

ceribro

so it seems that i have to do the whole installation again.

#7 2015-02-10 09:09:28

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

What makes you think that? The packages you installed previously are still installed, right? What is the benefit of discarding that progress and starting fresh?

I wonder though -- once installed, how are you going to keep this Arch installation up to date with such a low bandwidth cap?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#8 2015-02-10 11:01:41

ceribro

no it is not so,actually i have wasted my monthly quota which reduced me to this limit....i was using crunchbang which crashed.so i thought to move to archbang but the download kept on failing on 90-98% and then i torrented the arch iso.and thus my data ran out.
and about my half installed arch..suggest me what to...should i chroot again and install the base??? or should i configure the grub.
it's been four days my notebook is black and white,(okay okay red as well) smile

#9 2015-02-10 12:13:20

clfarron4
Website

Chroot in, install base properly this time.

Also, please can you post:
1) The actual error messages you get just before grub says "grub >" (I'm guessing it's a "root fs not found" type error, but I want to be damn sure it is);
2) The content of /etc/fstab (or your partition layout with the UUIDs);
3) The contents of /boot/grub/grub.cfg/

Last edited by clfarron4 (2015-02-10 12:16:24)

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#10 2015-02-10 12:36:47

ceribro

I'm not getting any error msg... It loads grub says ''wellcome to grub''.. Then i am prompted to the screen which says:
      GNU GRUB version name
minimal bash line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible comman completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.
Grub>

and when i pressed tab it gave me screen full of commands... Tried ''keymap dvorak'' said /boot/grub/layouts/dvorak.gkb not found.. Typed hello, said hello world...

#11 2015-02-10 12:45:40

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Rather than chrooting into the install, just mount the partitions as they were when you originally ran pacstrap, and rerun it.

You can add --needed to the pacstrap command to make it skip already installed packages.

clfarron4's advice is good too, but I think we need to make sure you have the full base system installed at the very least. From what you've said, I suspect you don't even have a kernel installed at the moment.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#12 2015-02-10 12:46:24

ceribro

There is a command 'boot' when i typed it said:
error: you need to load the kerenel first

#13 2015-02-10 12:56:28

ceribro

Okay, so the commands keep on saying can't find this and that so i will do the base install the base then tell you what happens

#14 2015-02-13 06:51:36

ceribro

so when i tried to install the base it gave me error message "could not resolve conflicting package" something like that, so i did a fresh install and everything went well ,seems so,and i could install my first arch.though it is not fully functional and configured and i am still facing problems,i'll google them and ask them in new post.
so it turns out that not installing base WAS the problem.

#15 2015-02-13 07:40:50

TheSaint

Please consider these conditions
For a targeted answer it may need detailed reports, like partition table, grub.cfg and to know whether is an attempt to boot by MBR or UEFI mode.
A better search through the forum topics related to booting  may give you more clues,

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#16 2015-02-13 11:41:12

ceribro

i am replying from my new arch system through jumanji which is not configured,in xfce4 where thunar is not auto mounting removable media and have an ugly theme,lxdm is not auto logining and using qwerty instead dvorak,awesomewm is also not configured to dvorak and the whole system is booting in 20sec. dmesg showing too many failed error masseges.don't know which to solve first...working on them wink

Last edited by ceribro (2015-02-13 11:42:28)

Board footer