You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 01:10:14

l0vot

[SOLVED] Unable to get list of printer drivers:

I recently got a Brother HL-L2380DW, and tried to get it working as a network printer with CUPS, but whenever I try to add using any of the available protocols CUPS spits this incredibly helpful error message out:

Unable to get list of printer drivers:

Success

Google didn't provide very helpful answers.

Last edited by l0vot (2015-02-13 14:10:43)

#2 2015-02-13 13:06:44

l0vot

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to get list of printer drivers:

Progress update, Archwiki mentioned that "lpinfo -m" is supposed to return a list of drivers, instead it causes foomatic and cupsd to max out one core each, this effect does not stop after it returns "lpinfo: success", which takes considerably longer than it should, just like when adding the printer via web client, so both foomatic and cupsd have to be killed. This looks like part of the problem.

~]# lpinfo -m
lpinfo: Success

#3 2015-02-13 13:21:20

V1del
Forum Moderator

Literal search for this errormessage also reveals https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU … er_drivers which is the problem you are facing, so remove foomatic if you don't need its drivers or try the ServerName workaround

#4 2015-02-13 13:22:29

Lone_Wolf

You are likely facing FS #43708 .

Try removing all foomatic* packages (even if it's only temporarily) , then adding the brother printer again.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2015-02-13 14:10:09

l0vot

@Lone_Wolf&V1del: I figured that out just before you posted. Thanks for the help though. "foomatic-db-engine" is the culprit, the rest of foomatic can be left installed. Setting up the printer was a little more complex than just getting rid of foomatic-db-engine. so i will provide the steps I took to get the Brother online, which should be similar to other Brother printers. There are other paths to choose, but this one worked for me.

Instructions for setting up a Brother wired LAN printer: only tested with the Brother HL-L2380DW

1. remove foomatic-db-engine, it is the source of the original error
2. go to http://localhost:631/ in your browser to get to the CUPS interface
3. click "add printer"
4. select  "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" (this is where I ran into issues, selecting the Brother printer that CUPS found didn't use the IP of the printer, instead it used some sort of ID, and wouldn't work after getting the printer set up)
5. type in "lpd://IP/BINARY_P1" where IP is the IP address of the printer, BINARY_P1 is the queue, leave it as it is unless it doesn't work
6. set the name, description, and location to whatever you want, they aren't critical to getting the printer online
7. select "generic" as the printer's make
8. select "Generic PCL Laser Printer" as the driver (this will return the error that started this thread instead of a list of drivers if foomatic-db-engine is installed)
9. pick the defaults you want, if you turn on 2 sided printing, CUPS will prompt you to set the Duplexer as installed, click the duplexer link and set it as installed
10. push the "set printer defaults" button if you haven't already. Done.

Last edited by l0vot (2015-02-13 14:35:54)

#6 2015-04-30 15:29:49

Gruentee
Website

Thanks guys, reinstalling foomatic* packages solved it for me, too.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong. ~ H.L. Mencken

Board footer