You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 00:13:33

cfr

[60% SOLVED] Getting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS correct in cronie script

I have a script which posts desktop notifications. It can be used from a terminal emulator but it is primarily designed to work from scripts run as cron jobs (or otherwise running in the background). For example, I have a script which checks for system updates and then sends a notification if any packages are out of date.

Originally, I had this set up so that it did one thing in a KDE session and another otherwise. The magic lines were:

# ref.: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/28463/run-a-dbus-program-in-crontab-how-to-know-about-the-session-id

ksession_pid=$(ps -o pid= -C 'kwin -session' | sed 's/ //g')

if [ "$ksession_pid" = "" ]
then
        dbus_session_file=~/.dbus/session-bus/$(cat /var/lib/dbus/machine-id)-0
        if [ -e "$dbus_session_file" ]
        then
                . "$dbus_session_file"
                [ $? == 0 ] || ((allan++))
                export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID
        else
                error "Gwall! Allwn i ddim canfod $dbus_session_file."
        fi
else
        dbus_session_address=$(grep -z DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS /proc/$ksession_pid/environ | sed 's/^DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=//')
        [ "$dbus_session_address" != "" ] || error "Could not get DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS for session." 
        export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="$dbus_session_address"
fi

However, this no longer works since I "upgraded" to Plasma 5. I tried simply removing the KDE stuff and relying on the DBUS information, but this failed.

notify-send works from a terminal emulator, but the setting of DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not the same as the one written to ~/.dbus/session-bus/$(cat /var/lib/dbus/machine-id)-0.

I then tried setting up a DBUS socket as if for use by systemd in a user session using the instructions in the wiki. This gives me a socket at /run/user/1000/dbus/user_bus_socket= but setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/dbus/user_bus_socket is apparently not the right thing to do. If I do this in a new shell, I break my ability to send notifications from the command line. I think this tells me two things:

1. Getting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS right is the key to getting this working, since setting it wrongly stops notifications with no other changes to the environment.

2. I have no idea how this environmental variable is getting set or how to figure out what it is from a cron job.

How can I recover the correct value from a cron job?

Last edited by cfr (2015-02-13 03:19:25)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2015-02-13 00:28:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [60% SOLVED] Getting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS correct in cronie script

I used the same U&L answer for a similar script, only I don't use KDE.

if [[ $? -eq 0 ]]; then
	pids=$(pgrep dwm)
	for p in $pids; do
    	dbus=$(grep -z DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS /proc/$p/environ \
			| sed 's/DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=//')
    	user=$(grep -z USER /proc/$p/environ | sed 's/USER=//')
    	dply=$(grep -z DISPLAY /proc/$p/environ | sed 's/DISPLAY=//')

icon="/usr/share/icons/elementary/status/48/aptdaemon-upgrade.svg"
		title="Sync Complete"
		body="Music transferred to Apollo…"

sudo -u $user sh -c "DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=\"$dbus\" DISPLAY=\"$dply\" \
			/usr/bin/notify-send -t 3000 -i \"$icon\" \"$title\" \"$body\""
	done
fi

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-02-13 00:45:03

progandy

What is the value of your $DISPLAY? That should be part of the filename in ~/.dbus/session-bus/, too. Can you find your DBUS_SESION_BUS_ADDRESS in one of the files there?

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2015-02-13 01:16:06

cfr

I figured out that kwin is now kwin_x11, so I tried something else. However, the next post uses jasonwryan's method to get the PID and is much better, so please see below. [I should have edited this, but I'm afraid I didn't think of it until it was too late.]

Last edited by cfr (2015-02-13 02:36:41)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2015-02-13 02:34:56

cfr

Thank you!

jasonwryan wrote:
    	dply=$(grep -z DISPLAY /proc/$p/environ | sed 's/DISPLAY=//')

This, I think, is what I needed. Thank you.

I was using

export DISPLAY=:0

which always worked. Moreover, it matches the value I find in the environment in a terminal emulator. However, the value in the environ file is different and it seems that is the value I need.

The following seems to work in a minimal test:

ksession_pid=$(pgrep kwin)

if [ "$ksession_pid" = "" ]
then
        dbus_session_file=~/.dbus/session-bus/$(cat /var/lib/dbus/machine-id)-0
        if [ -e "$dbus_session_file" ]
        then
                . "$dbus_session_file"
                [ $? == 0 ] || ((allan++))
                export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID
                export DISPLAY=:0
        else
                error "Gwall! Allwn i ddim canfod $dbus_session_file."
        fi
else
        dbus_session_address=$(grep -z DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS /proc/$ksession_pid/environ | sed 's/^DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=//')
        display=$(grep -z DISPLAY /proc/$ksession_pid/environ | sed 's/^DISPLAY=//')
        [ "$dbus_session_address" != "" ] || error "Could not get DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS for session." 
        [ "$display" != "" ] || error "Could not get DISPLAY for session." 
        export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="$dbus_session_address"
        export DISPLAY="$display"
fi

I doubt that the first part is completely correct. In particular, I suppose the DISPLAY is wrong. However, in practice, it is usually the second part which I need, so this solves the main part of the problem. But I'd be interested to know if there is a way to get the DISPLAY in the first case. (Should it be taken from the name of the dbus_session_file?)

Also, I'm not sure, but I think jasonwryan's answer might solve another issue which I've not managed to resolve since switching from OS X!

EDIT: Alas, not. I can't get it to work at all if I add the user specification. However, at least the script now works as well as it did before I upgraded to KDE 5!

Last edited by cfr (2015-02-13 03:18:37)

#6 2015-02-13 02:40:15

cfr

progandy wrote:

What is the value of your $DISPLAY? That should be part of the filename in ~/.dbus/session-bus/, too. Can you find your DBUS_SESION_BUS_ADDRESS in one of the files there?

Yes. That is the -0 bit. And I have export DISPLAY=:0 in the file. However, the value of DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in this file is not correct for KDE as it is not equal to the value in the environ file.

I am not sure why the DISPLAY is 0 in a terminal emulator and notifications work, but 02 in the environ file and notifications require it. I assumed that the value of DISPLAY would be the same in both cases, and I don't understand how one value can enable notifications in one case and the other be needed for notifications in the other case.

EDIT: OK. I know why it is set to 0 in the terminal. It is because I set it in .bashrc. But I'm not sure why, in that case, notifications work there!

EDIT 2: It seems DISPLAY is not necessary for it to work from the terminal but only from the cron script. I don't know why.

Last edited by cfr (2015-02-13 02:46:39)

#7 2015-02-13 03:42:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Setting it in .bashrc is a bad idea; overwriting any of those variables is.

Cron doesn't know anything about your environment, the more you tell it, the happier it is...
I set my script up that way because it runs on my desktop which I share with my wife; often she will log in before me and claim :0 (that's also why I have notify-send on that box, she is an Openbox user so dzen2 isn't much good to her smile ).

#8 2015-02-13 12:45:25

cfr

jasonwryan wrote:

Setting it in .bashrc is a bad idea; overwriting any of those variables is.

Yes. My .bashrc has an unfortunately ancient pedigree and includes things which I used to need to set but which would be better not set now. It is just a question of figuring out which things they are...

Cron doesn't know anything about your environment, the more you tell it, the happier it is...
I set my script up that way because it runs on my desktop which I share with my wife; often she will log in before me and claim :0 (that's also why I have notify-send on that box, she is an Openbox user so dzen2 isn't much good to her smile ).

It works fine as long as I don't use the

sudo -u $user

bit. If I use that, it fails.

I've never successfully run a notification from a cron job run by root. I've only ever got it to work for cron jobs run from my user crontab. Do you get notifications for system cron jobs as well?

#9 2015-02-13 18:22:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

No, I only setup notifications for my $user crontabs...

Board footer