You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-18 06:22:47

RaDeuX
Website

Trying to install from FTP from boot disk with wireless card

Well my card uses wlan-ng, but the bootdisk doesn't have that file. I also tried Prism54 (my card is a Netgear MA311 that is apparently a Prism 2)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showp … 36&cat=149

I tried manually putting in the IP address, netmask, gateway, and DNS server, but I still have to put in the WEP key, but it doesn't ask me for the WEP key. So I'm sort of troubled here. I want to install from FTP so I can get updated packages much more easily. Thanks in advance. I promise, one day when I become a Linux genius, I will help out other newbies like me.

#2 2006-03-18 07:53:35

RaDeuX
Website

Re: Trying to install from FTP from boot disk with wireless card

Okay, so I gave up the FTP install and installed Arch base. However, Ubuntu isn't letting me update grub through the terminal. I am the administrator for my computer, so I don't think I need to be a superuser. Even if I tried, my account password doesn't match the superuser password. Weird. I'm still digging through stuff to find the grub configuration file.

#3 2006-03-18 12:10:49

Lone_Wolf

Well, if you have arch base installed you should be able to use

hwdetect --show-net
hwdetect --show-pcmcia

to find out which modules are needed.

Also check this Wiki entry

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2006-03-18 13:32:24

gradgrind

RaDeuX wrote:

Okay, so I gave up the FTP install and installed Arch base. However, Ubuntu isn't letting me update grub through the terminal. I am the administrator for my computer, so I don't think I need to be a superuser. Even if I tried, my account password doesn't match the superuser password. Weird. I'm still digging through stuff to find the grub configuration file.

Do I understand you correctly? You have installed Arch and now wish to edit the grub config file, menu.lst, which is on an Ubuntu partition so that you can add your Arch install to it? If you mean something else, please clarify. My answer would be, you do need to get superuser rights under Ubuntu - use 'sudo'. This is very easy with mc: do 'sudo mc', enter your password when prompted, navigate to the file and then edit it using the built-in editor.

#5 2006-03-18 22:24:22

RaDeuX
Website

Okay, I gave up and just installed the Arch base. I'm now trying to connect to my wireless router. Here's what I did.

modprobe orinoco_pci
iwconfig eth0 ESSID 'my network name'
iwconfig eth0 key '**********'
dhcpcd

But then dhcpcd takes forever, then just fails without any notice. I can't get the Access point for some reason. I put in enough information, and the wireless router is DHCP, so it should get all the information just as long as I provide the WEP key. I'm doing this in the Arch console, as I don't have a Desktop Environment.

#6 2006-03-19 10:15:02

Lone_Wolf

Many wireless routers keep an ACL with mac adressess of cards that are allowed to get access and block unknown cards.

An easy way to test if the pcmcia card is on the ACL of your router is to test internet connection under ubuntu.

As a temporary workaround you could setup your router to use security level 0, so WEP is disabled for the time being to make things simpler.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2006-03-19 17:45:54

RaDeuX
Website

I figured out the problem. I was supposed to use the driver hostap_pci, not orinoco_pci. Well I got the wireless thing working, and I downloaded xorg, went through xorgconfig, and when i startx, it tells me that I have no drivers. I thought xorg comes with the necessary drivers.

#8 2006-03-19 18:15:53

Infinite

Not anymore  wink
You need:

xf86-input-keyboard 1.0.1.3-1
xf86-input-mouse 1.0.4-1

and ofcourse a video driver.

For example:
extra/nvidia 1.0.8178-15
    Drivers for XFree86/X.Org
extra/nvidia-legacy 1.0.7174-18
    Drivers for XFree86/X.Org

I use the nvidia drivers. You can type nvidia-xconfig in the terminal and it will generate a xorg.conf. I've altered it a lot though. Of course, this all depends on your type of videocard. wink Everyone knows that lol tongue

ATI drivers are also available. The legacy drivers are meant for older nvidia cards.

Cheers.

#9 2006-03-19 20:17:22

RaDeuX
Website

Alrighty, I got the xorg almost working. It tells me that I have errors in lines 29-31, something about xclock, xterm, and something else. I'll go look at it again.

-=EDIT=-
Okay, I got it fixed.

Now I can go to the X session, but gnome is ghetto looking and my mouse is going crazy like it's spazzing out. It also goes into virtual screen, as the resolution is set to something larger than 1024x768. But I'm really close to getting a desktop environment. big_smile

Board footer