You are not logged in.

#451 2015-01-24 09:02:00

ElectricPrism

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

After the update tonight of wingpanel-bzr - wingpanel finally loads and I can access the applications & shutdown buttons, just wanted to say thanks smile

#452 2015-02-06 14:45:08

quequotion
Website

mydegeneration wrote:

Do you guys know how to get the power indicator working? it's basically the only indicator I am missing/care about at the moment.

There were only two arch packages for indicator-power I could find: Unity for Arch's 12.10.6, which is an old model indicator that segfaults, and Alucryd's 12.10.5, which I did not test. What we need here is an upgrade.

So I packaged the bzr tip. This package builds the new model indicator and installs an extra startup for Pantheon.

This works in super-wingpanel; it should also work in wingpanel.

Both require a small dconf fix:
org.pantheon.desktop.{super-,}wingpanel.indicator-order

• Add:

'com.canonical.indicator.power', 
  • After:

'libpower.so', 

Here's what that looks like for super-wingpanel:

['libdatetime.so', 'com.canonical.indicator.datetime', 'libapplication.so', 'libapplication.so|keyboard', 'libapplication.so|gsd-keyboard-xkb', 'com.canonical.indicator.keyboard', 'libsoundmenu.so', 'com.canonical.indicator.sound', 'libnetwork.so', 'libnetworkmenu.so', 'libapplication.so|nm-applet', 'libbluetooth.so', 'libapplication.so|bluetooth-manager', 'com.canonical.indicator.bluetooth', 'libprintersmenu.so', 'libsyncindicator.so', 'libpower.so', 'com.canonical.indicator.power', 'libmessaging.so', 'com.canonical.indicator.messages', 'libsession.so', 'com.canonical.indicator.session', 'libsession.so|indicator-session-users', 'libsession.so|indicator-session-devices']

I'll fix that in super-wingpanel's packaging later.

Menu item "Power settings..." does not work for me because it's looking for switchboard(?) which I haven't installed:

Indicator-Power-WARNING **: Unable to start switchboard --open-plug system-pantheon-power: Failed to execute child process "switchboard" (No such file or directory)

The other menu items work.

Sometimes the indicator loads with no menu items. I think this is also likely to result from a missing dependency or ubuntu patches for a dependency.. The options "Show Percentage" and "Show Time" can be set in dconf anyway, as well as icon_policy..

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-06 20:30:36)

#453 2015-02-07 21:38:05

ElectricPrism

When on Pantheon on Arch I hit F12 to bring up Guake, but when I hit it again to close Guake Gala freezes up and boots me out to the Login screen, can anyone else confirm this problem? Does anyone have any insight?

#454 2015-02-09 01:45:48

ElectricPrism

Elementary OS Freya Beta 2 Released
http://beta.elementaryos.org

#455 2015-02-09 07:46:20

quequotion
Website

I have some radical ideas about what to do with pantheon; stuff that certainly doesn't fit in with upstream design, such as bug fixes for hybrid desktop environments (different window manager, panel, etc).

pantheon-workarounds is where i'm gathering these ideas.

Phase 1:
This package install's gala's gconf schema because slingshot-launcher, {super-,}wingpanel, etc segfault when they can't find it. None of these applications require gala to be installed or running; they just want the gconf. This reduces the install size and number of dependencies for pantheon with alternate window managers.

It also installs most of pantheon-sesssion, but not the "Pantheon" gnome/xsession (which won't be much use without gala).  Phase 1's objective is to fill the cracks for pantheon derivatives: for now it gets the pantheon xdg startups and modifies the pantheon session script for pantheon-derivatives. The other configuration files of pantheon-session need to be sorted, which is the next phase. I'd like to make this compatible with having gala and/or pantheon-session installed and add support for gala-based derivatives (different panels, etc.).

Phase 2 (or 3?)will implement an idea I ran by the elementary devs long ago: split pantheon's variously clustered configuration files into relevant packages (elementary-suite-config, pantheon-looks, pantheon-behavior, etc), to be depended on by the various components appropriately.

This should also help to reduce the install footprint of derivatives, but Phase 2's objective is really to emphasize the modularity of the pantheon components. This will be a split package of configuration and workaround packages.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-11 02:55:25)

#456 2015-02-09 20:15:08

quequotion
Website

ElectricPrism wrote:

Elementary OS Freya Beta 2 Released
http://beta.elementaryos.org

To celebrate the new os release, I'm making two derivative releases (it feels like a unix way to party): pantheon-3d and pantheon-lite!

These packages depends() an updated, uploaded version of pantheon-workarounds

pantheon-workarounds conflicts() and provides() gala (gconf only) and pantheon-session!

These packages will install the basics of both desktops, but do not include my settings. I'll probably make separate packages for the many tweaks, fixes, and optimizations I've made (once I track them all down).

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-11 03:23:22)

#457 2015-02-09 23:31:23

orschiro
Website

@quequotion

Without words, great efforts!

@all

Is it possible to somehow extract and run the Pantheon bluetooth tray indicator in a plain Openbox environment?

#458 2015-02-15 21:44:07

ElectricPrism

@quequotion - I look foreward to trying pantheon-3d and pantheon-lite

On a side note, I noticed when using this repo pacman complains. Is it possible to have pantheon without alucryd repo or is that a dumb idea.
http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/pantheon/x86_64/

$ sudo pacman -S gnome
warning: cannot resolve "gnome-control-center=3.12.1", a dependency of "libgnome-control-center"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      libgnome-control-center

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N]

#459 2015-02-16 03:29:05

d_rail

Thank you everyone for the helpful discussion.  Also, thanks Alucryd for leading the support of Pantheon on Arch.

quequotion wrote:

To celebrate the new os release, I'm making two derivative releases (it feels like a unix way to party): pantheon-3d andpantheon-lite!

I tried both, but I had a similar problem in both.  In compiz, I have a black background and I'm unable to add an image.  Similarly, in openbox, I have a grey background with no way to change it.  I noticed in Pantheon settings, if I click "Displays", Switchboard crashes.  If I try to view the Displays in Gnome settings, it says something like "No displays available".  I think it is a conflict with my nvidia graphics card (970) and it's driver.  Anyhow, I'm not a fan of compiz and, as of now, I prefer gala over openbox.  So I will try to get gala working better instead.  Yet, I'm using the gnome media keys fix.

ElectricPrism wrote:

When on Pantheon on Arch I hit F12 to bring up Guake, but when I hit it again to close Guake Gala freezes up and boots me out to the Login screen, can anyone else confirm this problem? Does anyone have any insight?

I can confirm, but don't have much insight.  When I tried luna, there was a bug with guake blocking ssh/keyring input.  In the launchpad bug report, the dev said it was a guake bug, even though gnome doesn't have the same problem.  The eOS developers don't use guake and probably don't test it.  I'm using gnome's terminal right now, because the pantheon terminal has no keyboard settings.

Maybe related, when I open switchboard, my monitors (2) will blank for a few seconds and sometimes my open windows will switch desktops.  I did not have this problem with quequotion's versions (that use compiz and openbox).  Also, I'm unable to set my wallpapers with variety.  But, I am able to set the background with switchboard or gnome settings.  I haven't dug into the variety bug.  That was going to be my mission today, but got sidetracked trying openbox and compiz.

#460 2015-02-16 16:59:44

SolarAquarion

I'm having an issue with Pantheon.  It doesn't show "tabs"

#461 2015-02-16 17:25:51

d_rail

SolarAquarion wrote:

In what app?

#462 2015-02-16 18:37:18

SolarAquarion

d_rail wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

In what app?

In Wingpanel?

#463 2015-02-16 20:30:30

d_rail

SolarAquarion wrote:
d_rail wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

In what app?

In Wingpanel?

Ok, you mean you don't have a workspace indicator.  But you do have workspaces, right.  Try win-right to switch.  Or win-down to see all workspaces.

Indicators are a known problem.  I have only been able to get two kind of working.

Session
indicator-session-bzr - Shows up, but actions don't work
indicator-session-systemd - Shows up, Restart & Shut down work, Log out does not, Needs suspend & hibernate

Sound
indicator-sound - Work fine, the volume slider is a little wonky

The other indicators I've tried don't build for me
indicator-datetime
indicator-datetime-bzr
indicator-pastie

Spaces
I don't remember if I tried this one.  Install "indicator-workspaces-bzr" from AUR and restart wingpanel "killall wingpanel"
I would like to try this one if I can get super wingpanel installed.

As Alucryd has stated, eOS developers are dropping indicators in support of wingpanel plugins.  So don't expect much support for them.

Last edited by d_rail (2015-02-16 20:31:11)

#464 2015-02-16 21:04:59

SolarAquarion

d_rail wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:
d_rail wrote:

In what app?

In Wingpanel?

Ok, you mean you don't have a workspace indicator.  But you do have workspaces, right.  Try win-right to switch.  Or win-down to see all workspaces.

Indicators are a known problem.  I have only been able to get two kind of working.

Session
indicator-session-bzr - Shows up, but actions don't work
indicator-session-systemd - Shows up, Restart & Shut down work, Log out does not, Needs suspend & hibernate

Sound
indicator-sound - Work fine, the volume slider is a little wonky

The other indicators I've tried don't build for me
indicator-datetime
indicator-datetime-bzr
indicator-pastie

Spaces
I don't remember if I tried this one.  Install "indicator-workspaces-bzr" from AUR and restart wingpanel "killall wingpanel"
I would like to try this one if I can get super wingpanel installed.

As Alucryd has stated, eOS developers are dropping indicators in support of wingpanel plugins.  So don't expect much support for them.

How do you enable super-wingpanel?

#465 2015-02-16 21:46:28

d_rail

SolarAquarion wrote:

It's a separate app, not made by the eOS team.  You will probably have the most luck with super-wingpanel-unstable-bzr because it is maintained by quequotion.  However, I could not get it to build and have not submitted a bug report yet.

#466 2015-02-16 22:01:48

SolarAquarion

d_rail wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

It's a separate app, not made by the eOS team.  You will probably have the most luck with super-wingpanel-unstable-bzr because it is maintained by quequotion.  However, I could not get it to build and have not submitted a bug report yet.

I built it and it needs the libindicator-bzr or libindicator3 from unity from arch.

#467 2015-02-17 00:23:45

d_rail

I guess I didn't understand your question.  If you have it installed, enable it by adding "super-wingpanel" to cerebere's watched processes, and remove "wingpanel".

#468 2015-02-17 02:11:43

quequotion
Website

d_rail wrote:

I tried both, but I had a similar problem in both.

What are you using to set the background? I use gnome-control-center because switchboard is unstable (and unnecessary).
Both compiz and openbox should use the background set by either gnome-control-center or switchboard, which set the dconf keys in org.gnome.desktop.background, which are then applied by gnome-settings-daemon. This should "just work" but maybe I've done some tricks that need to be packaged.

d_rail wrote:

In compiz, I have a black background and I'm unable to add an image.

Compiz can set backgrounds two other ways (ccsm):

• The "Wallpaper" plugin can set per-desktop backgrounds.

• The "Desktop Cube" plugin can set "skydomes".
    -For best results, use a high-definition, 2+:1 resolution, 360 degree, equirectangular panorama.

d_rail wrote:

in openbox, I have a grey background with no way to change it.

Openbox is the wild west. There are a number of ways to set the background. See the included "obsession" script for a method of setting the desktop color; I add "obsession" in pantheon-lite's .session as an additional RequiredComponent.

d_rail wrote:

I noticed in Pantheon settings, if I click "Displays", Switchboard crashes.  If I try to view the Displays in Gnome settings, it says something like "No displays available".  I think it is a conflict with my nvidia graphics card (970) and it's driver.

Is this only happening in pantheon-lite/3d? This conflict may be intentional: "Displays" is the place for setting which monitors are active, screen resolution, and rotation; all of which are more appropriately set in nvidia-settings. In the past this was made compatible through xrandr.

d_rail wrote:

Anyhow, I'm not a fan of compiz and, as of now, I prefer gala over openbox.  So I will try to get gala working better instead.

Thanks for trying and especially for the  feedback! The purpose of pantheon-lite certainly isn't to be "better" than gala, just leaner.

d_rail wrote:

Yet, I'm using the gnome media keys fix.

It seems like there are bug reports all over the internet about broken hotkeys in various gnome-derivative DEs and yet hardly anyone mentions gnome-fallback-media-keys-helper...

SolarAquarion wrote:

Change cerbere's dconf configuration! In org.pantheon.cerbere.monitored-processes, change "wingpanel" to "super-wingpanel".

Super-wingpanel itself has lots of interesting dconf settings in org.pantheon.desktop.super-wingpanel.

ElectricPrism wrote:

I look foreward to trying pantheon-3d and pantheon-lite

Enjoy!

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-17 16:55:45)

#469 2015-02-17 02:27:53

d_rail

quequotion wrote:

What are you using to set the background? I use gnome-control-center because switchboard is unstable (and unnecessary).

I tried switchboard and gcc.  I did not try setting the org setting using a terminal.

quequotion wrote:

Is this only happening in pantheon-lite/3d? This conflict may be intentional: "Displays" is the place for settings like which monitors are active, screen resolution, and rotation; all of which are more appropriately set in nvidia-settings.

Yes, gala recognizes the displays. I just mentioned the display settings because I think it is related to the null background.  Nvidia-settings seemed to work fine, it recognized the displays.

#470 2015-02-17 04:33:03

quequotion
Website

d_rail wrote:

It's a separate app, not made by the eOS team.

It's a bit of a story actually. Wingpanel was not always as it is now. Wingpanel-slim, superceeded by super-wingpanel, re-implemented the original design. Unfortunately there have been no upstream changes for nearly a year.

However, I could not get it to build and have not submitted a bug report yet.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like a dependency problem.

SolarAquarion wrote:

it needs the libindicator-bzr or libindicator3

libindicator-gtk3 in AUR seems to be missing an include file, probably because it is too old to support the new indicators. I've been using a pantheon-bzr-qq package, libindicator3-bzr without thinking much about it.

I've updated and uploaded a new libindicator-bzr to AUR which installs both the gtk2 and gtk3 versions. I've also updated the super-wingpanel-unstable-bzr package to depends() libindicator3-bzr.

This may also help to get some of the upstream indicators building. Check the optdepends() of pantheon-lite, pantheon-3d, or super-wingpanel-unstable-bzr for a list of indicators that I've built and used with these desktops (some may not yet be available in AUR, check for them in pantheon-bzr-qq).

d_rail wrote:

Yes, gala recognizes the displays. I just mentioned the display settings because I think it is related to the null background.  Nvidia-settings seemed to work fine, it recognized the displays.

I think I've tracked down the problem with "Displays". I wonder how this is worked around in Unity (this?)

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-18 02:56:51)

#471 2015-02-17 12:51:31

SolarAquarion

Plank isn't loading.

#472 2015-02-17 14:38:20

quequotion
Website

SolarAquarion wrote:

Plank isn't loading.

It doesn't run or it doesn't show?
Check if the process is running

ps $(pgrep plank)

If it's there, kill it. Cerbere should restart it automatically.

killall plank

If it's not there, try to start it from a terminal and see if it gives you any useful output.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-02-17 16:20:43)

#473 2015-02-17 17:46:48

SolarAquarion

quequotion wrote:
SolarAquarion wrote:

Plank isn't loading.

It doesn't run or it doesn't show?
Check if the process is running

ps $(pgrep plank)

If it's there, kill it. Cerbere should restart it automatically.

killall plank

If it's not there, try to start it from a terminal and see if it gives you any useful output.

* (plank:1646): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
[WARN 12:46:15.672634] [Preferences:184] '/usr/share/plank/themes/Pantheon/dock.theme' is read-only!
[WARN 12:46:15.746365] Unable to get org.ayatana.bamf matcher: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.ayatana.bamf: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.ayatana.bamf exited with status 1
fish: “plank” terminated by signal SIGTRAP (Trace or breakpoint trap)
➜ ~

#474 2015-02-18 06:56:24

d_rail

Update: I got super-wingpanel installed thanks to quequotion.  But, I really like the opacity changing effect from wingpanel-bzr, so going to stick with that.  I also got indicator-datetime installed by actually reading the comments on aur:

dkreuter wrote:

cd into src/indicator-datetime-12.10.2/src and run 'make timedated.h', then cd out and use 'makepkg -esi'

#475 2015-02-18 08:32:39

ElectricPrism

quequotion wrote:
ElectricPrism wrote:

I look foreward to trying pantheon-3d and pantheon-lite

Enjoy!

A. I installed "pantheon-3d" on a fresh Arch Install. This is the 4th revision I've made to my Arch Pantheon Install guide since I started to use Pantheon on Arch last month.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cKC … sp=sharing

B. I noticed on the Pantheon 3D session that I can't install datetime, message notifier, and also that the Logout / Suspend / Hibernate and Shutdown commands don't work by default.

C.
404 - Optional Dependencies Not Found
indicator-application-pantheon-bzr
indicator-datetime-pantheon-bzr
indicator-messages-pantheon-bzr
indicator-printers-pantheon-bzr
indicator-session-pantheon-bzr
indicator-sound-pantheon-bzr

D. Also, the stock background for Compiz is Black, is there a place in dconf or elsewhere I can edit that?

E. ( switchboard-plug-online-accounts-bzr is missing a dependency, I posted to the AUR page for @alucryd)

Thank you so much smile, Pantheon 3d so far is the snappiest of all the Arch Pantheon sessions I've tried.

I hope to include any helpful information in my guide as I intend to use this arch pantheon concoction on about 5 PCs as well as release the guide on the Elementary Google+ Community again once it installs & configures nicely.

Last edited by ElectricPrism (2015-02-18 08:54:19)

Board footer