You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-24 14:31:53

KarlP

[SOLVED] Access to Documents on iPhone

Following information taken from
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPhone_Tethering and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPod
I have now installed gvfs-afc, usbmuxd, libimobiledevice and ifuse and can get my iPhone connected via USB.

gvfs-mount -l gives

Volume(0): iPhone_name
  Type: GProxyVolume (GProxyVolumeMonitorAfc)
  Mount(0): iPhone_name -> afc://40digit/
    Type: GProxyShadowMount (GProxyVolumeMonitorAfc)
Mount(1): documents on iPhone_name -> afc://40digit:3/
  Type: GDaemonMount
Mount(2): iPhone_name -> afc://40digit/
  Type: GDaemonMount

So now it is possible to get access to directories and subdirectories in afc://40digit/
(or /run/user/1000/gvfs/afc://40digit/) and I can at least copy files from my iPhone.

But, what's so frustrating is that I can't get access to subdirectories of afc://40digit:3/, i.e. to the directories of the Apps on the iPhone. Only the list of the Apps is shown in a file manager.

What makes the situation so mysterious is the fact that at the first time when I connected my iPhone these subdirectories were accessible and I copied some files from my iphone!

Can somebody give me a solution of this problem so I can get again access to the directories of the Apps?

Last edited by KarlP (2015-02-17 12:11:30)

#2 2015-01-25 14:43:51

Knute

Re: [SOLVED] Access to Documents on iPhone

Since you answered the first question of "Did it ever work?" let's start with the second diagnostic question.

What changed?

As I have never had an iphone nor have had the opportunity to play with one, I'm guessing on these options.
Is there a place in the settings on the iphone that gives you options for when the iphone is connected to a pc?  If so, what are those options?  If there is an option for a usb storage device, that's probably what you need.

HTH

Knute

#3 2015-01-25 15:05:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

I used ifuse to access the app dirs on an ipad by identifying the correct APPID and using the --documents flag, as described in the ifuse man page.

ideviceinstaller can list the APPIDs for you.

In case it matters, that was the original ipad with ios 5.1 - things may have changed since then.

#4 2015-02-15 19:48:00

KarlP

@ tomk

Using ifuse gives the following error message:

$ ifuse /tmp/iAdobe --documents com.adobe.Adobe-Reader
Failed to start AFC service 'com.apple.mobile.house_arrest' on the device.

@ Knute

I can't remember that there was something exceptional in the settings on my iphone that had to be changed to get access in the first run. I only pressed “trust” as requested by the iphone.

In the meantime I did the same test with another linux installation (my old openSUSE 13.1). Regrettably the behaviour is/was exactly the same. At the first try the directories of the Apps could be accessed but not any more at a further try.

It seams that during the first pairing some settings of the gvfs-afc, usbmuxd, libimobiledevice or ifuse -installation are set in a faulty manner.

#5 2015-02-17 12:02:57

KarlP

Sometimes things are sooo simple! It is astonishing.
The solution I found is to switch off the iphone and start it again.

So, after each connection to the pc a simple switch off / switch on brings the iphone back to its normal state.

Board footer