You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-11 12:33:17

ashleylharnett

Re: Would you buy an Ubuntu Phone?

I just don´t think all that higly of Canonical, they do too much to market themselves as the only accessible linux distro and it´s evident from Unity that they want to be Apple, they want to offer an OS with no easy customization - which is the reason most of us end up using Linux to start with. I worry that i they achieved financial success through a convergent Desktop and Mobile OS they would ultimately split off from the GNU/Linux ecosstem and start to "compete" for the free desktop "market".

Also, I´m almost certain that an Ubuntu phone would get increasingly restrictive as Canonical sees the revenue from an app marketplace roll in. Soon enough deveopers would move away from more flexible and arguably more open ones toward a profitable Ubuntu market.

Maybe I´m wrong.

#27 2014-09-11 21:11:48

physicsshark

ashleylharnett wrote:

I just don´t think all that higly of Canonical, they do too much to market themselves as the only accessible linux distro and it´s evident from Unity that they want to be Apple, they want to offer an OS with no easy customization - which is the reason most of us end up using Linux to start with. I worry that i they achieved financial success through a convergent Desktop and Mobile OS they would ultimately split off from the GNU/Linux ecosstem and start to "compete" for the free desktop "market".

Also, I´m almost certain that an Ubuntu phone would get increasingly restrictive as Canonical sees the revenue from an app marketplace roll in. Soon enough deveopers would move away from more flexible and arguably more open ones toward a profitable Ubuntu market.

Maybe I´m wrong.

No, I see where you're coming from.  If Canonical makes enough money to be able to thrive apart from commuity support, it would be very tempting to close things up to increase profits.

"The Guide says that there is an art to flying," said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."  - Life, the Universe, and Everything

#28 2014-09-22 22:27:42

MadmanRB

A resounding maybe, if I could use it on my plan with sprint.
If not I am fine with android.

A keen mind goes a long way...

#29 2014-10-24 12:27:35

mmix

nope, i ended up with flame phone which is based on firefox os.

--
PS: i update firmware(b2g: flame-kk(kitkat)) daily.

Last edited by mmix (2014-10-24 12:37:37)

#30 2014-11-07 07:52:50

andjeng

Somehow, I realized that I need a device that can be used in many unusual circumtances. Such as, when I'm still in bathroom, or toilet, or restroom, whatever your term, for reading a lot of documents. Well, because I tend to spend pretty long time to take a dump. Time is money, right? wink

Another circumtance is when I'm travelling to somewhere that doesn't has a decent internet connection (like cabel or fiber based connection), so I have to depend on mobile broadband internet connection.

So, answering your question, I really considering ubuntu phone, as long as the price's right.

just looking around. wink

#31 2014-11-07 12:46:22

drcouzelis
Website

andjeng wrote:

So, answering your question, I really considering ubuntu phone, as long as the price's right.

But why an Ubuntu phone instead of phone with a different operating system?

There are some REALLY cheap Android phones that do everything you described...

#32 2014-11-07 16:18:49

ewaller
Administrator

andjeng wrote:

Somehow, I realized that I need a device that can be used in many unusual circumtances. Such as, when I'm still in bathroom, or toilet, or restroom, whatever your term, for reading a lot of documents. Well, because I tend to spend pretty long time to take a dump. Time is money, right? wink

Way too much information there.  But I think this fine product will be of extreme interest to you.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#33 2014-11-10 07:37:13

andjeng

drcouzelis wrote:
andjeng wrote:

Really? I don't know about Android devices. Okay, I'll consider Android devices too. smile

ewaller wrote:
andjeng wrote:

Way too much information there.  But I think this fine product will be of extreme interest to you.

That's very nice. But I can't drag the product all day long, ewaller. hmm

#34 2014-11-10 21:02:23

stevenhoneyman

andjeng wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:
andjeng wrote:

Really? I don't know about Android devices. Okay, I'll consider Android devices too. smile

Just in case you missed this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1473133

Some related discussion about mobile linux devices

#35 2014-11-11 02:56:30

andjeng

stevenhoneyman wrote:
andjeng wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

Just in case you missed this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1473133

Some related discussion about mobile linux devices

Thankyou my good sire. smile I'll check the condition of mobile linux devices nowadays.

#36 2015-01-06 07:24:36

thisllub

This is gold.
Installing Ubuntu on a Windows phone would be a magnificent piece of deja vu.
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/33 … -phone.htm

I think the final convergent step for phones is to become the 'one device'.
Android certainly isn't it, even Arch on Android is a disappointing experience.
If Linux gets there first it may be a game changer.
I am keeping my nearly 5 year old Xperia X10 until I can get a Ubuntu phone.
If it is made by Nokia it will have great hardware and I will be very happy.

#37 2015-01-06 18:32:18

stevenhoneyman

I thought windows phones were bootloader locked? (all that "secure boot" nonsense)
...has that been broken now? I'm not up-to-date on what's able to be done with lumia/winphone devices.

#38 2015-02-12 02:20:29

physicsshark

Well, there's an Ubuntu Phone now. Here's the press release.

"The Guide says that there is an art to flying," said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."  - Life, the Universe, and Everything

#39 2015-02-12 20:46:35

stevenhoneyman

physicsshark wrote:

Well, there's an Ubuntu Phone now. Here's the press release.

It's the same closed source mediatek mess behind the scenes though. I presume it'll use the android linux kernel and just a different UI / "OS" sat on top?

#40 2015-02-12 21:14:06

drcouzelis
Website

stevenhoneyman wrote:

I presume it'll use the android linux kernel and just a different UI / "OS" sat on top?

According to what I learned from the Wikipedia, the internals are closer to Sailfish than they are to Android.

#41 2015-02-12 21:14:34

teateawhy
Website

stevenhoneyman wrote:

I presume it'll use the android linux kernel and just a different UI / "OS" sat on top?

Yes.
Both Ubuntu Phone (which is based on the same Linux distro as full Ubuntu) and Android run on a Linux kernel. However they differ above the kernel level, whereas Ubuntu runs a full GNU/Linux OS with most of the standard Linux libraries, and a GUI based on Qt, Android runs a custom Android and Dalvik platform instead.
Taken from:
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi … 7165#37165

#42 2015-02-18 20:42:56

Mr_ED-horsey

Their distro is at times a buggy mess (depending on the release in question). I might be willing to deal with that on a personal computer or laptop (I'm not a huge fan of APT so it typically isn't an issue), but not on my phone. I NEED stability with that, and given their spotty track record with stability and knack for rushing updates and releases without properly testing them I would have to proclaim a resounding NO at the moment. They could surprise me though.

At the end of the day I'm going to wait and see what the reviews say.

Desktop: Fedora 21 Mate + Compiz [x86_64] on 2 TiB HDD  /  Windows 7 Professional [x86_64] on 500 GiB HDD
Laptop: Arch Linux + Openbox [i686] 120 GiB SSD on Acer c720 Chromebook

Board footer