You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-21 13:34:48

Gamonics
Website

Updated Bitcoin wiki page; Anyone using the AUR package bitcoin-abe?

I just finished updating the Arch Bitcoin wiki page with my experiences on the subject, but I'd like to use a block chain browser to begin trying to understand more about the Bitcoin network. This Bitcoin wiki category lists several block chain browsers, and this Bitcoin Forum post announces one hosted at github called Abe, an open source block chain browser as an alternative to the apparently proprietary Bitcoin Block Explorer.

I see Abe in the AUR, but there are no comments there and the package was last updated almost two years ago so I'd really like to check and see if anyone is actually using it before beginning to experiment with it myself. I wonder if I'd be better off installing it by hand myself and bypassing the AUR package.

Can anyone here comment on their recent experiences using the AUR package bitcoin-abe?

Last edited by Gamonics (2015-02-21 13:36:02)

#2 2015-02-21 18:11:18

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Updated Bitcoin wiki page; Anyone using the AUR package bitcoin-abe?

Why don't you just try and build it using the AUR PKGBUILD? If it works, great, if not you get to fix the PKGBUILD, adopt it and the community benefits as well as you...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-02-21 18:58:25

Gamonics
Website

Thanks Jason. Following your suggestion, I did just that. The package does build, but it's also a rather elaborate configuration with postgres and a web server involved, so I was hoping to see if anyone else was using it before investing all that time. I also have a message out to the upstream author. I'm not sure but he may have abandoned that project.

As for fixing the PKGBUILD, I'm afraid I wouldn't have the skill set to do that. I do like to improve the community in any way I can though, and that's why I'm working on the Arch Bitcoin wiki page. One does what one can do. I welcome your feedback or improvements on my first draft over there. I'm new to revising wiki pages too, and I know it's too verbose as is, but I'll continue paring it down in an effort to make it more concise in the following days.

#4 2015-02-21 19:02:03

frank604

I just tried and the only thing you need to change is the makedepends of python2-distribute to python2-setuptools <--nvm it pulls it in correctly as is, please disregard.
I'll let you make the modifications for fun sake but if you want me to update the aur I can.  Hopefully if you are going to use it maybe you can adopt it?  Poor orphans, we have enough in this world already. big_smile

Edit: I guess I posted this a little too late.

Last edited by frank604 (2015-02-21 19:11:27)

Board footer