You are not logged in.
Greeting! A little background (if you don't care, just skip to the next paragraph): I've used Ubuntu off and on for the last few years, but it never really stuck. I decided to build my first PC since, oh...1996! It's a whole lot easier now. I wanted something that would require a bit more of an investment on my part and something that I could learn from, so Arch it is! Anyway, getting to the point...
This is a fresh install of Arch. I have the system up and running and am in fact using it to make this post. The system is using an AMD 5350 APU (Radeon HD 8400) on an AM1H-ITX mobo. The mobo has built in HDMI and 7.1 audio. Everything is working great, except audio. I'm not getting anything through the HDMI or the standalone audio jacks. I've done all the simple things suggested in the wiki and that I can find on-line. i.e. using alsamixer I've made sure all the audio channels are not muted. I've done several other things, but I can't remember what they all were (I've been messing with this for 2 days now). In any case, I still don't have audio.
If anyone could show some pity on me I would greatly appreciate it. Just let me know which commands to run, what tests to do, etc. and I will run it and report back.
Thanks in advance!
Sean
Last edited by sean4star (2015-02-24 20:25:05)
Offline
Hi there, welcome to the forums.
cat /proc/asound/modules
lsmod | grep sndThese are two commands that should bring some light to this thing.
I've done all the simple things suggested in the wiki
What did you do exactly ? The two commands are from the wiki, but it's hard to assess your situation right now.
Offline
I have learned never to assume anything, so are you sure that you hooked everything up right?
I know some mobo's have internal connections that need to be connected from the mobo to the back/front panel(s). Are you sure that those are connected correctly?
Next step would be to make sure that the speakers are all plugged in right? Are they on?
Is the onboard audio enabled in the bios?
I'm not trying to be insulting here, just making sure that it's all hooked right. The onboard audio not being correctly connected would not prevent the system from booting, so it's worth double checking. I've had sound troubles in the past, and, after checking all kinds of software things, realized that I had bumped the power button on the speakers! ![]()
Knute
Offline
No insult taken at all! Just happy to get some help on this. I've double checked all my connections and everything looks good.
I'v actually had a partial success. I changed the default audio card as recommended in this post: http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/146297. I'm sure there must be an official / standard way to do this, but the post uses asoundconf from AUR, so that's what I did:
$ asoundconf list
Names of available sound cards:
Generic
Generic_1
$ asoundconf set-default-card Generic_1I now have audio from my attached speakers! But...
I'm still not getting anything through HDMI.
Here's the requested info:
# cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_hda_intel# lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek 63196 1
snd_hda_codec_generic 63087 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 49263 1
snd_hda_intel 26387 0
snd_hda_controller 26938 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec 112621 5 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_hwdep 17244 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 88785 4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_timer 26614 1 snd_pcm
snd 73436 8 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
soundcore 13031 2 snd,snd_hda_codecI also saw another sound problem in this thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=194032
He shows the output for a few other things. I figure it couldn't hurt.
# speaker-test
speaker-test 1.0.28
Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory# aplay -L | grep :CARD
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=1
default:CARD=Generic_1
sysdefault:CARD=Generic_1
front:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
surround21:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
surround40:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
surround41:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
surround50:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
surround51:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
surround71:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
iec958:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0Offline
Aha,
You tried:
asoundconf set-default-card Generic_1Did you try
asoundconf set-default-card Generic??
Offline
Yes. Using "Generic" I don't have any audio, HDMI or otherwise...
Here are screenshots from alsamixer
This is for the "Generic"
Screenshot_2015-02-23_11-39-49 by sean4star, on Flickr
and here it s for "Generic_1"
Screenshot_2015-02-23_11-31-29 by sean4star, on Flickr
Let me know if this sheds any more light.
Offline
I read on another forum that using the catalyst driver instead of the open source driver can sometimes resolve HDMI audio issues. So I installed it and learned a lot more about Arch in the process (unofficial repos, GPG keys, module handling and blacklisting, etc). But...
Still no HDMI audio. Any other advice to get this working?
Offline
Will any of this give you any output sound?
$ aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
$ aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
$ aplay -D plughw:1,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
$ aplay -D plughw:1,1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wavOffline
@sean4star - Are you radeon or Catalyst user now? With open source driver, HDMI audio is disabled. You can enable it by adding radeon.audio=1 to kernel parameters. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#HDMI_audio. This solution helps me.
Unfortunetly, I don't know how to enable it with Catalyst.
Offline
Long story short, I finally have audio from my TV over HDMI. But, now nothing from speakers. I guess it's only one or the other, unless anyone has some additional advice. Since this PC will almost exclusively be used with the TV, I'm going to mark this as resolved. For the details, read below.
Ok, so I started from scratch with a fresh install. I actually felt like I knew what I was doing this time instead of just following instructions! This time I stuck with the open source ATI driver and I added the radeon.audio=1 kernel parameter as suggested by user pb. Still nothing unless I change the default to Generic_1. So, I was back in the same boat. But starting with the ATI wiki page I found my way to the HMI section of the ALSA wiki page. Following the instructions there I got this:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0So, "Generic" is the correct card for HDMI output. But still nothing when I set it as the default with asoundconf. Next I tried:
aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wavSound...from my TV!
Ok, add this to my .asoundrc file:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}Now I have audio from HDMI, but not from the speakers. At least now I know how to change this with a quick .asoundrc edit.
Thanks for the help and bearing with me.
Offline
If you change the plughw:0,3 to plughw:1,0 you should get sound out of your speakers (assuming you are using analog speakers).
Knute
Offline
Will that require a reboot? I haven't tried it yet. It would be great if I could change it on the fly when needed.
Offline
If you issue the command
aplay -D plughw:1,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav from a terminal window, it should play it through your speakers.
The plughw annotation is actually plughw:<card>,<device>. You get the numbers from your aplay -l command.
With some tinkering you can set up some sounds to go to your tv and others to your speakers.
Pulseaudio can do that a bit easier than alsa, but it's doable in either.
HTH,
Knute
Offline