You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-18 10:16:05

EAD

How to change the screen res in X

Hii I am using KDE, How can I change the screen refresh reate and color depth?
What is the command or tool, I don't want to do true Desktop settings on KDE because its very limited, so I prefer a better way.
:?:

#2 2006-03-18 10:38:57

Lone_Wolf

Re: How to change the screen res in X

Control center, peripherals, display allows you to change the refresh rate and resolution.

Color depth is set in xorg.conf , not in the WM/DE.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-03-18 14:24:45

EAD

I know this one, but it gives me only limited options, Is there a better way? :?:

#4 2006-03-18 14:47:34

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Try using 'xrandr' it's a console command.

To see the available sizes, type 'xrandr'
to choose one, use the SZ number at the front and run:

xrandr -s SZ

where SZ is that number from the front.

#5 2006-03-19 07:44:08

EAD

Ok, the easy way for me (I love config files)
Is to edit the Xorg.conf and that it :!:

#6 2006-03-19 12:40:27

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Yes, alternatively you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

<rant>
Dude. You have made 60 posts averaging 7.5 a day, asking other people to hand solutions on a plate to you. Unfortunately for you I've ended up reading this one in a not so forgiving mood.

Look it up. Google it, read the manual, check the wiki. Heck! take a guess at it. Just look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf yourself, it's pretty obvious. I'm going to be much more inclined to help, if you've tried outright, and broken your system.

Even if you mess up X, you're going to learn a helluva lot more than being spoonfed. This applies for everything you've asked. Most of it has been solvable by looking at the wiki or googling briefly. It's not like you dont even have the time, you would have spent quite a while making these posts, which you could have spent..... even trying to fix it yourself.

iphitus
</rant>

#7 2006-03-19 13:15:31

syamajala
Website

how exactly does xrandr work? i've enabled it before and stuff but whenever i've tried to use it to rotate my screen i only get 1 mode in the list and thats the mode that i'm using. I've tried adding more modes to my xorg.conf but still nothing. So like where does it get the modes from?

#8 2006-03-19 14:13:04

Sander

iphitus wrote:

Yes, alternatively you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

<rant>
Dude. You have made 60 posts averaging 7.5 a day, asking other people to hand solutions on a plate to you. Unfortunately for you I've ended up reading this one in a not so forgiving mood.

Look it up. Google it, read the manual, check the wiki. Heck! take a guess at it. Just look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf yourself, it's pretty obvious. I'm going to be much more inclined to help, if you've tried outright, and broken your system.

Even if you mess up X, you're going to learn a helluva lot more than being spoonfed. This applies for everything you've asked. Most of it has been solvable by looking at the wiki or googling briefly. It's not like you dont even have the time, you would have spent quite a while making these posts, which you could have spent..... even trying to fix it yourself.

iphitus
</rant>

Hear hear. While I'm in no position to complain (being an arch noob myself), I guess I've made it rather obvious lately that it's starting to annoy me also.

Especially this part is what you should work on:

Most of it has been solvable by looking at the wiki or googling briefly

Also, don't post things like

It didn't work. More help please.

Urgh.

You like cheese? You like peas? You'll love cheezy peas!

#9 2006-03-19 15:26:05

iphitus
Forum Fellow

syamajala wrote:

how exactly does xrandr work? i've enabled it before and stuff but whenever i've tried to use it to rotate my screen i only get 1 mode in the list and thats the mode that i'm using. I've tried adding more modes to my xorg.conf but still nothing. So like where does it get the modes from?

Some graphics cards drivers dont support rotation. the 830 driver didnt until xorg7, and nvidia iirc needs an option enabled in xorg.conf.

XR(otate)AndR(esize) should pick up all the different resolutions available in your xorg.conf.

iphitus

#10 2006-03-19 15:29:27

jaboua

Have you tried krandrtray or something like that? I don't remember if it changes your color depth, but it does change refresh rate. You can set it up to automaticly load the settings at KDE startup.

#11 2006-03-19 18:51:54

EAD

Sorry guys, but this is the newbie forum, What is the problem helping a little?
I know many things and will try help you if you need it, So if you can help. why not?!

#12 2006-03-19 19:59:59

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

EAD wrote:

I know many things and will try help you if you need it

If you know so many things, why do you need to ask so many very basic questions?

, So if you can help. why not?!

We aren't paid to provide support. We do it on our own time and I personally am very busy and also dealing with a personal tragedy right now. I have put a lot of work into ensuring the wiki is clear and up to date. Its frustrating to see questions that have obvious answers in the wiki. You claim to have read it, but continually repeat questions like that. Quite frankly, I've never seen a newbie quite like you.

We're happy to have new users trying Arch Linux and we're very friendly in helping them get on their feet. However, we expect users to try to learn how to do things for themselves, the same way we did. We're more concerned with helping people to learn how to help themselves and to get enough information to start learning where to look than in performing all their computer maintenance for them.

Your many posts over the past few days have indicated a complete unwillingness to search google, where many of the answers could be found in a short amount of time, or a quick wiki search that could give you step-by-step instructions more detailed than anyone will have the time to give here. I suspect you will find fewer and fewer people willing to answer your queries here. I've personally taken to completely ignoring posts from your name unless they appear to be in the wrong forum and need to be moved or the title needs to be corrected to provide more information (you have caused us a fair bit of work ;-)).

We also like to keep forums clean so that searching them can provide people with answers they can't find in the wiki. A lot of simple questions answered in the search results makes this a difficult task.

Dusty

#13 2006-03-20 09:56:05

EAD

hii, I am writtint less and less questions aobut many things, I know that I have been too much stupid with some questions, but I have read many things and learn a lot!
wink
I really like ARCH linux, and thinks it is a great OS
I am not that stupid and many things I learn on my own like CUPS, Xorg, ALSA and so on...
I do want you guys to help me with things if you can and not busy doing so, and I suppose that with time, I will learn more and more and can help others and make you think of me more then just a newbie
Any way I don't want people to ignor my questions or to make any one mad at me.
Sorry.

#14 2006-03-20 14:06:53

jaboua

Did you try krandrtray?

#15 2006-03-20 14:46:26

EAD

I have solved the problem, Tanx any way, I just want to say that I don't want to bother you with silly quetsions, and sorry if it seem so roll

Board footer