You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-17 16:53:51

rhfrommn

Kernel upgrade yesterday led to panic on boot [SOLVED]

Hello all,

I think I screwed my machine up badly.  I've searched the forums and wiki for a couple hours and don't see a fix, so I thought I'd ask before blowing away my system and reinstalling from scratch.

Here is what happened.  I tried a pacman -Syu for the first time in a month or so.  I got lots of file conflict errors.  Some searching on the forums suggested that was because I had an old version of xorg, so I removed my xorg and installed 7.0.  After that my XFCE wouldn't work due to an error about the nv module being missing.  So I tried to reinstall the nvidia-legacy package.  That also failed with errors saying my kernel was compied with a different version of gcc than the nvidia package was.  So I tried to upgrade the kernel with pacman -Sy kernel26.  Normally I have that on my ignorepkg list so I was at 2.6.11 or something around there a few revs back. 

Now I can't boot.  I get a panic saying it can't find discs/disc0/part3.  I can boot off my (old 0.6) arch install CD, then do mount /dev/discs/disc0/part3 /mnt and chroot /mnt and it works so at least I can work on it in its crippled state a bit.

The one clue I did find was to add initrd to my lilo.conf, but I did that and try to run /sbin/lilo and I get an error from that as well.   :cry:   

Is this because I needed to switch to udev before upgrading the kernel to 2.6.15?  That was my guess but I haven't found any confirmation info on that.  If that isn't it, do you know what could be causing my problem?  And whatever the cause, is there a way to get my system back or should I give up and reinstall.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Ralph

#2 2006-03-17 17:40:45

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Kernel upgrade yesterday led to panic on boot [SOLVED]

Yes.  Devfs does not exist in the kernel anymore, you need to use udev and the /dev/hdx naming scheme

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev <-- that page should help you out

#3 2006-03-20 16:01:41

rhfrommn

Ok, thanks for confirming that is the problem.  I read that page you linked before I posted, but couldn't see how to fix the machine now that it is blown up on there.  I'll go through it again and see if I can figure out the fix or if I need to just rebuild.

Thanks,
Ralph

#4 2006-03-21 10:08:18

Sigi

rhfrommn: Change /dev/discs/disc0/part3 to /dev/hda3 in your /etc/fstab. Or have you done this already?

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#5 2006-03-21 19:02:11

rhfrommn

I haven't tried that yet since I thought I'd have to have installed all the udev packages etc. first.  But I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

#6 2006-03-27 23:02:33

rhfrommn

Ok, I got it fixed.  I made the changes in the devfs to udev wiki page, but it was still broken.  I was booting off the install cd, mounting my / to /mnt, then doing chroot /mnt.  I fixed /boot/grub/menu.lst as part of the changes to go to udev, but it still wouldn't boot right.  I finally figured out that my /boot partition is separate, so I had to mount /boot up and change menu.lst there.  After I did that it booted ok.

Board footer