You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-14 20:16:34

postlogic
Website

An end to glxgears. Finally.

http://www.happypenguin.org/show?GL%20O.B.S.

I've been waiting for something like this. i'm tired of seeing people using glxgears as a benchmark.

#2 2006-03-14 22:59:40

_Gandalf_

Re: An end to glxgears. Finally.

-> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=3463
Already in AUR smile so i'll try it now smile

#3 2006-03-15 02:11:55

Cam
Website

Nice. Gah, I hate my video card atm sad

#4 2006-03-15 03:54:50

Bralkein

I don't get the point of a benchmark GUI. I thought the point of a GUI was to provide a simple, interactive and intuitive interface to perform a complex task. Surely the whole point of a benchmark is to perform a suite of tests in an identical manner on a series of different systems, which implies that user configurability should be kept to a minimum. Such a task is fine for the command line, because one just invokes the command, leaves it to work, then reads the results once the tests are complete. I can't see how a GUI would add anything to this process.

In fact, this particular GUI puts me off, because I am a KDE user and so GTK apps really seem out of place on my desktop. GLX gears is just a simple console app and window frame showing a 3-D drawing, which is fine.

It's good that someone's gone to this effort, it would be good to have a nice, simple F/OSS 3-D benchmarking suite, but I just don't really see why this has been encapsulated in a GUI.

#5 2006-03-15 10:18:51

postlogic
Website

First of all, this is a program at early development, so ranting on about how it is unecessary and all that is more out of place than anything.

This is great, because "GLX Gears is a simple console app and window frame showing a 3-D drawing", which is not fine if you want an actual benchmark. A window producing how many thousands of fps you can get from THREE objects, is far from enough. It's not accurate at all. It doesn't test anything other thna actual 3D. It doesn't test high polycounts, shading, particle engines and all the fancy stuff video cards today actually have to care about..

What's great about GL O.B.S is that anyone can actually make that kind of a benchmark, and others can improve upon it, or just make a whole new one. That program can run those.

This means you can tailor your benchmark a lot more than you can with many other apps. Take UT2k4, for example. Sure, it can benchmark, but most people use it to test their card to know what effects and enhancements they can and cannot use in that particular game. Oh, and it's commercial.

Besides, if you're serious about benchmarking your setup, get used to the idea of many complex apps for that task. And no, 3dmark is for Windows and cannot be compared.

#6 2006-03-15 13:42:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Bralkein, theres a QT themes on GTK apps engine available, its in the AUR, it works awesomely. It's even got a nice kcontrol applet.

#7 2006-03-15 22:33:01

Bralkein

Hey man, don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the program - I was just saying I don't really understand a certain aspect of its design.

I realise that GLX gears is not an adequate 3-D benchmarking app, and I agree that we need a decent one. Was I meant to say was that the only graphical aspect that I see as useful in a 3-D benchmarking system is a window that shows the visual results of the rendering, so that you can see that it is working properly. Other than that, isn't a benchmarking system basically just a program that runs a big batch of tests, then produces some statistical data at the end? It just sounds like the kind of thing I'd write as a console app. I normally think of GUIs as something to be used for anything that is highly graphical or interactive in nature, otherwise a command line makes sense to me - you build up the command, set the thing in motion, then come back when it is done.

Iphitus - cheers for the info. I actually already use that package. I agree that for what it is, it works well, but painting GTK apps with Qt is always going to be a hack, and I find that GTK apps still stick out like a sore thumb, and since I am extremely anal, the inconsistency hurts me smile

#8 2006-03-17 23:32:03

encelo
Website

Hi everyone.
I'm Encelo, the author of Globs. smile
I'm also an ArchLinux TU, as a matter of  fact the PKGBUILD of the program was in AUR some time BEFORE I released it on Sourceforge, it was pointing directly to my site for downloading. wink

For all of you who have expressed appreciation for the program: thank you guys! smile

For bralkein (who hasn't expressed much big_smile):
Globs has a gui in order to make it easy for the user to run a benchmark, review its stats, see which ones are available on his/her system, submit a test result in the common database, gather and compare other users test results, handle user authentication and personal data for submissions, handle  benchmarks parameters, store results in an offline db, etc...
All of these could be implemented as a console program, and in fact I first prototype new functionalities with shell interface then I integrate them into the GUI which make them simpler and more intuitive to perform.

Blog | Twitter | nCine 2D game engine
All problems in computer graphics can be solved with a matrix inversion. - James Blinn.

#9 2006-03-18 14:33:33

Avenger

It looks very nice, what type of benchmarks are you planning to create?

#10 2006-03-18 20:07:54

whargoul

GL_shadows don't work. Is my Nvidia Geforce 6600 really too old to show shadows, or is it just a bug?

Arch - It's something refreshing

#11 2006-03-18 20:48:23

lumiwa

whargoul wrote:

GL_shadows don't work. Is my Nvidia Geforce 6600 really too old to show shadows, or is it just a bug?

My ATI Radeon 9000(ati drivers) shows:

GL_shadow: doesn't work
GL_pointz    441.2
GL_blit         915.6
Fake             351609.4
GL_blit_ext  doesn't work
GL_smoke  392.2

#12 2006-03-18 21:41:40

encelo
Website

Avenger: I don't know, for now I'm working 100% in the gui/db part.

Warghoul and Lumiwa: Come on http://globs.sourceforge.net/punbb to talk about these issues.

All problems in computer graphics can be solved with a matrix inversion. - James Blinn.

#13 2006-03-20 17:15:21

encelo
Website

whargoul wrote:

No, as a matter of fact everything works fine on my GeForce4 MX. smile
Are you sure to have configured correctly the proprietary drivers?
Come on globs forum to talk extensively about these issues.

Board footer