You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-18 17:26:24

Infinite

Dual Boot (Linux/Windows)

Hello,

I bought a new HD (Samsung IDE 250 Gb) and I want to dual boot with Windows XP (don't ask lol) but I'm afraid that I'm going to mess up my Arch installation on hda1   sad

So here I am, asking for help  8)

edit: new situation > see post 3 for information.

Greatly appreciated.

#2 2006-03-18 20:36:26

mtrivs

Re: Dual Boot (Linux/Windows)

So you already dual boot, or you have just arch installed?

If you already dual boot, install windows to your new drive and then update your grub config to boot the new drive.

If you want to dual boot and have only arch on the existing HD, then do as i stated above.

Another option is to create a vfat or ext3 partiton on one of your HDs and then use partimage to create a image of your current arch install.  Then you can set up everything you want within windows, and then use partimage to copy your existing system to another drive or the same one (whatever you want) as well as the MBR.  http://www.partimage.org

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

#3 2006-03-18 22:23:02

Infinite

Thanks for trying to help me out.

I'll break it down:
1 40 Gb HD
1 250 Gb HD (bought it today)

Existing situation:
First HD (40 Gb) = Master = existing Arch installation.
Second HD (250 Gb)= Slave = unformatted (now)

What I initially wanted: Windows on the second drive and Arch on the first drive but seeing that I will be using Arch a lot more often than Windows I've changed my mind:

Windows on the 40 Gb HD as a Slave (where my Arch resides at the moment)  and Arch on the 2nd HD (250 Gb as Master)

Break down:
First HD (250 Gb) = Master = Arch
Second HD (40 Gb0 = Slave = Windows.

Come to think of it, if I want it this way then I should do a fesh install instead but first I will have to make a zipfile from every config file I've made/changed the past couple of weeks (in other words, make a tar.gz from /etc)  To save myself some trouble.

I think it would be a good idea to install Windows first because of the NTLOADER (or whatever they call it) and install Arch after.

menu.lst would/should look something like this:
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

# Windows
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
<maybe a no verify rule here? >

I think Windows should have a bootable flag (lack of a better word) ... not sure though ... ??

Cons:
I will lose every file I have right now.

Ah well ... life is harsh.

I tried to install Windows on my second drive but it's saying that Windows can not reside on the selected partition due to invalid filesystems and what not. Also, Windows tells me that my second HD is only 32 GB! but it is in fact a 250 Gb HD!  :shock: .. now what's up with that? Windows couldn't be THAT stupid.

Good Lord, I might have answered my own stupid questions. DOH!

/me should be in jail.

Did I miss something? Not sure which other files I have to change. Suggestions ?

btw... this machine doesn't have a CD/DVD burner nor does it have a floppy drive (that I'm able to install very easily though)

#4 2006-03-18 23:51:32

mtrivs

Depending on how much of your existing arch install you have, i would use partimage.  I would create a ext3 partition at the end of your used space, then create an image of that partition with partimage (it will only make an image of used space and then compress it to a smaller size).  Partimage is also included in the knoppix live CD or can be found at http://www.partimage.org.  The program is also able to restore the MBR (which would include your bootloader) as long as you dont use the "best" compression which i think is bz2  I would then restore the partition to the 250GB HD and then install windows on the 40GB partitition.  After that i would use the arch install cd to install grub and then edit the menu.lst file to say:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,1) #<--Enter your windows partition here with udev formatting
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=773
initrd /boot/initrd26.img

# (1) Windows
title Microsoft Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0) #<--Enter your arch partition here with udev formatting
makeactive
chainloader +1

and then you should be up and running.....

As always this is just a suggestion, but i cant think of another way to do things unless you do what you wanted to do and lose everything. lol

As far as your drive being recognized by windows as a 32GB HD, i would boot into arch or a live cd that has qtparted and format the drive with the filesystem of your choice (delete all partitions so that it is one large drive).
I would go with a NTFS partition for windows partitions and ext3 for linux partitions.

BTW: I have a 13GB arch partition and am only using about 4Gb and partimage compressed the image to 2GB, so you may see results similar to mine....

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

#5 2006-03-19 10:07:17

Sander

I haven't read everything here in detail, but still: note that windows likes to think it's on the first harddisk. I see you're using the map commands for the GRUB entry, which is good, but you might have trouble installing it. If that's the case, it might help to temporarly take your arch drive out of the system and make the (future) windows drive the first drive for the time being.

You like cheese? You like peas? You'll love cheezy peas!

#6 2006-03-19 10:45:17

Infinite

ugh ... I have a problem with a dependancy (regarding the install of partimage) I already have newt installed according to pacman but it (partimage during ./configure) is still saying dat libnewt doesn't exist. I've tried to isntall libnewt.

I get the following erro during the make process of newt: (snippet)

whiptcl.c: In function 'wtInit':
whiptcl.c:41: warning: passing argument 4 of 'Tcl_TraceVar' from incompatible pointer type
whiptcl.c:44: warning: passing argument 4 of 'Tcl_TraceVar' from incompatible pointer type
whiptcl.c:47: warning: passing argument 4 of 'Tcl_TraceVar' from incompatible pointer type
whiptcl.c: In function 'wtCmd':
whiptcl.c:90: warning: passing argument 3 of 'poptGetContext' from incompatible pointer type
whiptcl.c:93: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
whiptcl.c:147: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
whiptcl.c:152: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
whiptcl.c:162: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
whiptcl.c:232: error: label at end of compound statement
whiptcl.c: In function 'setHelptext':
whiptcl.c:261: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type
whiptcl.c: In function 'setFullButtons':
whiptcl.c:276: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type
whiptcl.c: In function 'Whiptcl_Init':
whiptcl.c:291: warning: passing argument 3 of 'Tcl_CreateCommand' from incompatible pointer type
whiptcl.c:292: warning: passing argument 3 of 'Tcl_CreateCommand' from incompatible pointer type
whiptcl.c:293: warning: passing argument 3 of 'Tcl_CreateCommand' from incompatible pointer type
make: *** [whiptcl.o] Error 1
rm textbox.o checkbox.o checkboxtree.o windows.o grid.o scrollbar.o entry.o form.o scale.o label.o button.o listbox.o buttonbar.o

Stops here.

Ugh ... any other suggestions?  or should I look into this annoying problem.

I'm also not able to resize my current Arch partition. I only have two partitions with no free space on the 40 Gb HD (linux swap and 1 partition). The Arch partition is active so I can't resize it.

Partition table looks like this:

fdisk - l 
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40027029504 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77557 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1         744      374944+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda2   *         745       77557    38713752   83  Linux

Disk /dev/hdb: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1               1       16052   128937658+  83  Linux

The rest is free space.

I think it's possible to create an image of the used space and put it directly in /dev/hdb1 with partimage (if I can get it to work) I'm not sure though.

btw .. I use the reiserfs filesystem instead because the ext3 (which I normally use) didn't work properly during the boot sequence.

#7 2006-03-20 19:49:15

Infinite

Sander wrote:

I haven't read everything here in detail, but still: note that windows likes to think it's on the first harddisk. I see you're using the map commands for the GRUB entry, which is good, but you might have trouble installing it. If that's the case, it might help to temporarly take your arch drive out of the system and make the (future) windows drive the first drive for the time being.

Thanks for the input, I haven't seen your post before .. sorry  :oops:
I think I have a solution for my 'problem' but I'm going to try a few other things (Xgl, ArchCK,  torsmo etc.) out first before I continue with this 'project'.

#8 2006-03-24 17:35:07

Infinite

You know, I was thinking the other day. I thought, why do I have to go to so much trouble. It should be easy right? according to the Arch Way: Keep It Simple.

I could just copy the entire partition to my other drive, right?

Unfortunately, I'll have to look up how to set up my other drive properly because I can't access it right now and during the copying process (cp -r / /dev/hdb2) I get: "omitting smh"

I'll search the wiki's first etc.

#9 2006-03-24 22:30:19

rayjgu3

just a thought leave hda alone (40 gb)
in arch as root at command line
cfdisk /dev/hdb
create 1 partion on (250 gb)
then run
mkfs.filesystem-you-want /dev/hdb1
then
mount /dev/hdb1 /where/you/want-it-mounted